Starcraft

I'm hooked! Started last year fishing for kings. Wow do they fight. I'm fishing from a Monark pro1700. It is a good boat but I think I am ready for a bigger one. I would like to get some advice. I like the fishmaster 196 and I have seen some used ones but most have 115hp motors. Are these motors big enough? I would think 150hp would be in order for a 20' boat. I'm running 225ho on my 21' bass boat. Anyone runing a 150 on this boat? If you have a 115hp how dose your boat run? I also was looking at the 2100, don't know if this would be to big? Aslo where is the best place to find a good used one of these boats?

I'm running a 2008 115 Nissan on my 22 foot Starcraft Holiday and it does a nice job. It had a 1989 150 Evinrude on it before. This motor does just as good a job and uses half the fuel. I had 5 of us on the boat a week ago including one guy near 300 pounds. She hesitated a little but put us on plane. It won't go as fast as your 225 though.

I've got a superfisherman 191 w/ a 3.0L mercruiser (rated around 130hp) that only does 30 mph loaded with gear. A buddy has a 196 with a 115 merc that easily pushes it in the high 30's. Its plenty of motor for that boat.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Starcraft is terrible from an entry boaters standpoint. Vastly underpowered. Thats why you can get em cheap.

I run a 2100 Fishmaster. Its got a 250 Pro XS. Max hp. I am sure the 196 works with the smaller engine, but for me, if it aint max'd, I am out.

I'm running a 115HP Etec on the 186 Superfisherman, 2011 model. I generally get up to 36mph flat out, trimmed up. For a 196, I think I'd opt for the bigger size but you are really on the fence. I pull kids skiing and tubing when I'm not fishing and its a horse. The Etec also idles nicely and works well down wind at 2.5-3.0 mph trolling and upwind 1.6-3.0+ mph. I'm still in break in mode so I can't estimate gas mileage and oil consumption but it runs fantastic. Loving the Etec motors in my boat & sled!

I'm still in break in mode so I can't estimate gas mileage and oil consumption but it runs fantastic. Loving the Etec motors in my boat & sled!

i thought evinrude advertised there was no break in period?

If you want a boat that will go 50+ MPH, then do not get one with a 115. It won't happen. Mine does somewhere in the mid 30's loaded with all my gear but I can't tell for sure because I never do it. I usually run in the low to mid 20's if the sea conditions will allow me to. You'll need very good seats or a neck brace if you are going to run 50+ on Lake O. I assume you are looking for a Lake O boat, seeing as you are talking about fishing kings. I assure you that a 115, especially one of the newer models will push that 19 or 20 foot aluminum boat at 35 MPH or more, plus it will troll down better, cost less, use less fuel and weigh less. Just depends on what you want the boat for.

I just purchased a 19.6' with a 115 and 9.9 kicker. Runs about 38-40 loaded with 4 people on it. I love the kicker for trolling, fish all weekend 6-7 hour days and even a few hours on Fri night and use half a tank of gas (15 gal) maybe. Bow ans Stern set me up with everything I wanted on the boat. That's not a plug for B&S I just really like the boat and the guy there was great. Handles a fairly rough lake good too. Here is my advice for what it's worth.

19 foot minimum

Kicker motor with troll master

Traxtech on both sides

Boat comes with wash down if you get the right model

One word of advise on buying a used Starcraft and this probably goes for most brands, especially aluminum. Check the transom very good for rot. Look in the motor well where the bottom of the well meets the transom. If there are cracks there, the transom is likely rotten and flexing, causing those cracks. Find access to the inside of the transom, take a small flat blade screw driver and poke at the plywood, especially near any bolts that come through from the outside, such as those holding on the motor, trolling motor, swim platforms, and such. A good percentage of the older aluminum boats I've checked have some rot in them and need new plywood in the transom.

A 196 needs at least a 150 ideally a 175, it will ride and handle SO much better and will allow you to navigate waves and swells with ease expecially with a full load and the motor won't struggle. I've been in a 196 no less than 50 times with a 115 and it was a dog, no bow control and the boat pounded and rode poorly the motor didn't have enough balls to get the hull out of the water it just pushed it no giddy up. A bigger motor will actually use less gas because it struggles less to accomplish the same task as a smaller one doing the same speed. Not to mention resale value most guys don't want sleds.

I have a 21 ft boat and I have a 250 on mine and only fish Erie and Ontario and I get to scream across the lake plenty. Not to mention what fun is 20mph? 8)

A buddy of mine has a 196 Fishmaster with a 115 Merc 4 stroke. It's a nice deep boat for it's length and handles rough water very well for it's size. He is plenty happy with the boat. He also owns a smaller Lund.

Anyway, the Starcraft will do 37 to 38 max gps speed. He said with 2 people and the roof up about 35mph gps. I just asked him when I saw your post.

Like others have said, if the boat is primarily being used for Lake Ontario, top speed is not your concern. You need power for waves, but won't be doing top speed most days anyway.

I have a 21'10" Lund Baron with a 250 Verado that will do 50+mph, but can't do that most days on lake O. 22 to 28mph seems to be a tolerable speed in pretty rough stuff. Slower if it's really rough. I'm not afraid to fish rough water either...I've been the only boat to leave the dock before at Olcott while 30 foot boats waited for better conditions.

Ya I 'm going to look for one with a least a 115 In think a 125 to 150 would be the best. I will say as a bass fisherman I have my boat proped right. 5500rpm 43 mph 17' 2 guys. I think proping would be important on any new boat. has anyone reproped?

I had to. The boat came with an aluminum prop. Didnt get that one at all. A 250 and an aluminum prop, go figure. Went to a tempest 24. Made a TON of difference.

I see a lot of starcrafts on erie. Most have the the 115. Not a bad setup by the way. They are good boats. If you find one with max hp, I would jump on it.

Got an 04 176 fishmaster with a 115 optimax.runs 44mph trimmed with just me in it. Sips fuel. as economical as 4 stroke. And better pop outta the hole. Love the boat . Love the motor. Changed plugs and fuel filter that's it. Put the smart guages on it. Must have for trolling imo. Id think a 115 would suit you fine unless you just gotta have that extrapower

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png