help with where to mount electronics

hawkeye625

I bought a crestliner sabre hard top just before the spring derby and kinda threw everything in it overnight..its been at the lake since and haven't had a chance to hook everything up properly...now it's time to clean up my mess.

Just wondered if you guys prefer ff/gps, probe display, marine radio..etc. overhead or on the dash..I don't have enough room to mount in dash but there is plenty of room on the dash. Also thought about mounting a small fuse block on the dash for easy access and only running 1 wire up throught the dash vs running 4 sets of wires down, also leaves room for running other things like a fan or maybe lights, and easy access to fuses.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I mounted everything overhead but I'm usually in the back of the boat running on autopilot and I wanted the screens up where I could see them. When running at the steering wheel it would probably be better if they were on the dash, overhead is a little tuff on the neck. So it depends on how you are going to run your boat and what works for you.

Fuse block up front, just for your electronics, is a great idea.

I have had three boats. I learned to not rush where I put things. When I drive the boat while trolling I spend most of my time sitting sideways w/ my feet up looking back at the rods. I want my sonar so I can see it , so it is left of my cuddy.

took a lot of time w/ my rod holders & riggers. Sat in the boat in my driveway a long time before I drilled any holes. My wife saw me and asked what the heck I was doing.

My boat came w/ a place for the radio, but I don't like it where it is.

Radio is fine overhead. It's nice to have probe display near GPS so you can compare down speed to SOG on GPS. Nice to see FF and GPS when you are running and fishing. Each boat is different-if you have to dash mount it's not bad to mount FF to the left. I like to keep top of the dash open in front on me. I had enough room in the dash on my current boat to flush mount everything which makes for a very clean install. After you setup a few boats you develop preferences.

One thing I would do the next time is to mount my GPS/Fishfinder to the left of the drivers area. That way I can have access to it if someone else is driving the boat.. Because when I drive I tend to play with it , and that causes me to venture crooked off course.LOL

Plus if someone else wants to play with the graph they won't be reaching across you.

Lots of great input above and I tend to agree with everyone so far. If I had a hardtop, the VHF would definitely go overhead, but since I don't, I put it to the far right of my dash area, somewhat out of the way, but still within easy reach. My fishfinder and GPS/Chartplotter are somewhat to the left of the helm, as when we're trolling, I tend to sit sideways facing the port side of the boat. My Moor readout display is next to the GPS, so that, as mr 580 mentioned, I can compare the two readings and adjust as needed.

Thanks for all the input. Pretty much left everything on the dash for now but added the fuse block and tightened up all the wiring. Probably going to mount ff and probe display on hard top over the winter...a little too much involved for in season work. I would like to be able to see those things from the rear of the boat, especially the probe temp.

Seems like every time I'm setting lines someone is standing in front of my display. :devil: Also like to see where my riggers actually stop. Counters don't seem to be very accurate on occasion.

Set up ff and probe display just left (port) of center as I also sit watching lines, gps just in front of drivers seat and radio I left where it was on dash with mic on hard top.