Derby damage

Spring 2011 loc was the best but most expensive. Best was taking 1st with a 17.4 steelie.

Countless lures due too rookies not snapping swivels, in net break off, or smiply not hooking them on before tossing out. Took a while to convince them chumming spoons doesn't work.

Cannon mag 10 housing broke in half and only thing left was the base and reel.

And if this wasn't a bad enough day, the first fish I clean and tossed the carcass over, so went my wedding ring. Yeah I am only lucky my church going brother was with me to verify I wasn't at the bars lol.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I agree this is a great topic of discussion!!

The lake has been fairly kind to me over the years, but the 1st week in July this year was, by far, my most expensive trip. Lost a Shark weight, at least (5) flasher & fly combos, about 200' of copper, complete spool of coated downrigger cable, (2) dual rod holders on my Cannons cracked (which almost lost me 4 downrigger rods), main engine issues because of ethanol, and the Navionics card in the GPS/Chartplotter went south. I was ready to throw in the towel and park the boat by Thursday and not use it the rest of the week. But, calm waters in the morning and the desire to be out on the lake overpowered my anger, so with the exception of the Navionics card, everything was replaced and I put more hours on the boat. Once the itch is in your blood, it's very hard to not fish.

I'm not going to mention the total bill in parts and repairs for that week. LOL.

My outboard cowel has a latch :lol: but ya gotta outsmart it..... whew guess losing 1 spoon I ant doing too bad..

some of you guys have lost more stuff in 1 season than i have in 20 years...maybe i shouldnt of said that,,,,season ant over yet :rofl:

A fish outrunnin the boat and crossin the rigger cable is one thing , but a good "Preflight" check needs to be done before every trip ,they ant but about 1/2 dozen moving parts to check ,cable,weight eye, termanation wear,leaders.clutch(no need to have em lose if ya ant fishing in very close) and of course that elusive latch AND the nuts and bolts that hold the latch in place including cowel stress cracks......BUT if ya like reeling in copper every rigger bite 2 to 4 dypsys every rigger bite and maybe a leadcore or two deploy em.. Me Ive cut down to 3 riggers and 2 dypsys and PAY attention to the rods..this year I have had more 20lb class hit the surface like a steelie only to dive back down ,if you miss the inital hit and dont raise or clear the junk lines yer gonna have a mess and probly loose the fish and tackel..also when a rigger fires relax and hit the up switch so ya have 1 less rigger to deal with then yer ready to redeploy AFTER checking yer line,swivel,split rings,hooks,and DRAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me Ive had "those days" in the past just not that bad....OH and another thing is the driver who lets the stearing wheel loose to try to help with net or clearing ANT helping the situation..I put the fish on rod in the holder and clear what needs to be cleared..if thier hooked good with proper drag they ant going nowhere..your choice big tangle and lose gear AND fish or relax clear stuff and ENJOY the fight....ME i like relax get the fish in and redeploy...Without retying ,opening a new package and kicking myself.. :ninja: in the :mooning:

Lost a brand new sd and new atomik fly that i bought yesterday with 300ft of braid because of a big fish backlash around the reel guide.was sayin how lucky we were not to lose anything this year

After reading this post.

If you are afraid of loosing it....don't throw it in the water. I figure every time I toss something in the lake, it may be the last time I ever see it.

This past trip alone during the A-Tom-Mik Invitational we lost one brand new torpedo weight (first day of usage), full 600 copper, full 450 copper, a dipsey, 2 flasher/flys and 1 flasher/meat rig...that I remember. I agree with Jekyll, even though it's a lot of expense, at the end of the season it is a small fraction of what it costs me to go fishing. If I tangle a copper up bad....if it takes more than 15 minutes to untangle...it gets cut. I have seen guys spend an hour or more trying to fix a mess :lol: Try to calculate the gas you burn during that hour...the gas you use during the day, the gas you burn pulling the boat to the lake...the value of that hour during prime fishing time when you get so few hours on the lake......snip! I fish risky and I loose stuff from time to time.....When it starts to bother me, I'll quit and take up bass fishing.

OK!....that's it....I'm claiming.salvage rights!...got to be a ton of copper down there.

Copper $3.36 for 1 oz.

Ton = 2000 lb.

HOLY JUNK LINES BATMAN!...:doh:....I'm buying a new boat!...a big boat!...$ 107520

Where's Ray, I need a frogman!...got NITROX?..:rock:...oh and balls of lead..more$

ooops.....divide by 16.....$3.36 lb ....shucks :(....oh well, good down payment.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Folks I'm envious, took a change in position at work for three months, July, August and September, only home Saturday and part of Sunday, so no fishing at all. I have not lost a thing (this year anyway) because I can't fish. Did some fishing early in the year though. Next time I'm going by Seneca, Keuka or Cayuga I'll throw 50 bucks in the water...at least it may feel like I'm fishing!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive lost more this year than previous 2-3 yrs combined. Over 3k foot of copper 4 torpedos lots of spoons & flashers flies. But only part that gets me going is guys cutting behind me and catchin my stuff. Then taking off. Ive had it happen 3 times on 500 copper. No excuse for this. I also want to say ive caught a lot of fish. Thanks to members of lou. Thankyou !!!!!!!!