Dipseys

I have a openbow 20 ft boat. I'm considering running Dipsy's deploded off the rails on the bow. Thought it would keep them away from my downriggers. Anyone ever try this? From what I'm reading I should not use a plastic Rod holder for the dipsey rods, any suggestions?

Or should I run the rods on a straight behind the boat, my downriggers are off the sides,but I only have about 7 foot beam.

I personally would not go with plastic holders. They will most likely break from a hit with a big king- especially if your running wire. I run 10 footers from my bow rails using tite-loc rail mount rod holders. They work well but its difficult to get the rod out when a fish is running- even when you loosen the drag. I would suggest buying down east S-14 rail mounts as all you have to do is lift the rod out of the clamp when a fish hits. I am currently waiting for those to arrive. Hope this helps and good luck.

Fischer

I ran plastic/fiber holders on my first boat for 2 years. Cabella's sold a holder that stood up to dipsies and kings. I tied a lanyard around the reels just in case. I was always nervous but, they never failed.

You could run your dipsies in your rigger rod holders if they are are strong enough. Then mount plastic holders for your rigger rods behind your riggers or off the back. Rigger rods put much less stress on the rod holders.

Rod lenght depends on the lay out. 10.5 are long and will clear your boat and equipment well but, they will add torque to the mount. Shorter rods mounted in your rigger holders might be worth considering - they apply less torque to the mount. It's that old fulcrum and arm thing they taught us in high screwal.