Upgrading reels

Going to be upgrading my wire reels (4)and have am going with Saltists from what I have read on here. I was in a toss between the Saltist and Tekota's but I have heard a few say they needed to upgrade drags on new Tekota's and also the gear ratio of the Saltist. Where is a good place to buy the reels, the cheapest I have found is $175-185 a piece for 30's and would like to see if anyone knows a place where they sell packs of 2 or 4 or give decent discounts when you buy four.

I will be in to see you monday morning HVS, that is the 30 series & line counters, correct?Do you have bulk wire in stock, and if so what kind?

Reading from your posts Rich is half the reason I am buying these, Thanks for putting me in the poor house! Quite the upgrade from the 47's.

You may also want to check out Jeddo bait. I can also recommend the Abu Garcia 7000 line counters, a few bucks cheaper, better than the shimano. Can't compare to the Saltist as I have not run the saltist much for dipsys (4 days on a buddy's boat & just bought a pair of 50's for copper on mine). I have/do use the Garcias I am on year 3 (only about 600 hours/year), rock solid and smooth drags. What I like about these over the saltist is the counter does not hit my forearm!!! Google "Garcia 7000 LC FT"

Yeah, that is the only knock on the Saltists, the position of the linecounter. I have no idea why they went to such a goofy setup when the old 47s linecounters were fine. I guess I don't notice it as much now as I did when the reels were new, and it never bothered me much to begin with, but a few weeks ago I had a bruise on my wrist and I certainly noticed it on that day.

I managed to get mine for $125 from a vendor off ebay this past winter, but it was a funny thing because the vendor is one of those places that are almost always more expensive than anywhere else. They only had the cheap price for about two weeks...I think during that time a couple guys from here took advantage of the tip that I posted. I've never seen anything even close to that price since then.

You won't regret buying them. We've been slowly switching over and a couple of other guys (Silver Fox and Gambler for starts) are doing the same. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tekotas too, especially since having tournament drags installed by Tuna Tom, but you shouldn't have to put a different drag system into a brand new reel, just to get it near what you consider acceptable....

Gator, I remember when you posted that and wish I would have jumped on that because its a smokin deal you got! Although I am not getting that deal, HVS is giving a very good price, I was going to wait for the off season but there is still a lot of fishing left and would hate to lose a big fall LOC fish because of my sticky drags that need upgrading.

Carl, I had looked at them as well and decided to go with the Saltist. The way your reports have been, it sounds like they are holding up just fine!!! Btw, thanks for all the reports, we usually go out of the oak and always look forward to the reports from you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I will be in to see you monday morning HVS, that is the 30 series & line counters, correct?Do you have bulk wire in stock, and if so what kind?

Reading from your posts Rich is half the reason I am buying these, Thanks for putting me in the poor house! Quite the upgrade from the 47's.

We don't have bulk, but we do have some 1000 satinless, I will hiold on letting my orders go until you come in, what time will you be in? We are at thr track today, but will check this at least one more time today.