Genessee River mouth Rochester Area

All I said in this thread is that I do not think that Rochester is a very good fishing spot compared to either the oak or Mexico Bay. As an example I used a charter trip with Bruce.

So it is my opinion about the Rochester fishing against yours. I have not said anything derogatory about anybody on the board. If you take it as a personal comment on your fishing skills then that is your opinion but not my facts.

And for the update...

I managed to get out Wednesday. Launched at 6am from the Genessee River launch. The swells were only ~1 foot, so I went out to 50 FOW, threw out some spoons, crankbaits and a flasher/fly. Depths varied, but had 1 release on a purple/black spoon. Did ~2-3 miles to the east at 50 feet, went in to 20 feet with a mix of crankbaits, at varied depths. No bites there.

Since I didn't see any other boats around, I assumed they were all in deep water. I started out and made it to around 95 FOW when the swells got to be too much for my bass boat. Somewhere around 3 feet? I said I would call it when the nose of the boat was moving water. I could see 4 boats in the distance, but decided I didn't feel like swimming. I made it ~1/2 miles past a lit buoy out and to the left of the river mouth. When I turned around, the coast guard made a drive-by within 50 yards of me. I guess this was a nice way of making sure we had our life jackets on and saying we shouldn't be that far out, given the conditions. I got skunked, but it was great fun. At least I figured out what my personal limits were for my boat.

Next time, I'll wait until the fish are closer to shore, and leave the deep water fishing to the pro's. It just give me a reason to book one when I feel the urge to go!

Was anyone else out?

All I said in this thread is that I do not think that Rochester is a very good fishing spot compared to either the oak or Mexico Bay.

The Rochester Basin (Ship Builders Point to Braddocks) is the second most diverse port for trout and salmon on Lake Ontario. The number one of course is the Niagara River area. Tons of inshore slob browns, giant lakers, a great offshore steelhead and king fishery. The only issue with Rochester is, you have to be willing to burn a little more gas. Mexico Bay is a great brown fishery but on a NORMAL year, how is there king fishing for May, June and some of July?