8/12 - Big Seneca Laker

I'll start off with the bad. Heard a noise while driving through Geneva in front of Hobart, though it was my brakes, didn't see anything in mirror. Got to the chamber and found that my port side down rigger was missing. I just fueled up at the mobile on 5&20 in Geneva and it was there then, so the noise I heard was it hitting the road. There was a whitish Ford super duty in the left lane pulling bass boat behind me about 300 yards and he made an immediate left turn on a side street. I'm sure he now owns a new cannon down rigger ;( On with the good. left the dock at about 6:45. Took Kevin (BlueGhost) out today and we made a run south of Belhurst. Picked up a few in the 4-5lb range and we smaller. I just brought in the 290 dipsey to check and then started setting it back out got down around 260 and it started ripping, tightened drag and handed off to Kevin and still did not stop screaming till about 450 foot. cleared the lead core and started making a turn around because it was still pulling drag. get the fish close and then the 95 rigger pops, 6lb laker. See something bouncing on the other dipsey but left it in. finally get Kevins fish in and the high fives begin!! Scaled the fish at 15.14lb and was about an inch longer then my 36" tape. pulled in the other dipsey with a 2lb laker on it. Ended the day at 10:45 with 7 fish. Most fish on the 290 dipsey with mtn sd paired with white fly. also took fish on the 270 dipsey with same combo and the 95 rigger with green dot sd paired with white fly. fished from 85-125 fow.

download.jpg

nice fish, but i am more concernced for your rigger. have you called the PD for the town you were in? Maybe this fisherman had a heart and did the right thing.. or even check your local craigslisted in lost and found!!

Nice fish Brett and Kevin, sorry to hear about your downrigger I probably would have had an upset stomach after that! It would be really nice if someone returned it...there are a few good people out there maybe that even read this forum. Well, wishing some good luck your way!

Tom

Hey Kev....way to go! Sorry to hear about Bretts downrigger. My last time out on Canandaigua I contributed a $300 camera,bag, and extra chips at the launch ramp somehow (possbly taken from the boat while I got my vehicle/trailer as I was alone)..looked later but nobody turned iit in etc. Back in my parents day it would have been turned in for sure but nowadays many folks are opportunists and haven't been brought up with the same ethics.

Too bad the timing wasn't there for that fish at derby time Kev :>) Maybe next year though....kinda like deer hunting I guess ...you see them all over until opening day then they disappear :>)

Hope to catch you folks at one of the launch ramps soon.

Les

Brett,

That's an awesome fish. I have made several trips to Canandaigua this year and see why you have ditched that lake for seneca. I get one quality rainbow trout per trip, and a few dinks and that's it. The lake trout act like they are on vacation!

Pete

Now U know why it's touted as the "lake trout capital of"..... Oh well. The state? America? The world? (I think not!) What's that sign say? :D Great catch! Good story. And I think we all lose some stuff some way or another. At least you received some redemption...and quickly!

BEUTIFULL PIC.... good luck with the PD in Geneva ud have better odds on ur own with a lil street justice...they are too busy busting ethnic dime bag dealers and perving out on the william smith girls when schools in session.....u prolly got a weird look when u tried to make a report and a remark like well what do u want us to do about it......lol been there done that with missing/ stolen property....What a beutifull laker i see some monsters like that roaming the shallows near the city peir in november when they are spawning....they run the rocks along the south side of the peir when the south wind gets a kicking....the more wind the better.....some of the BIIIIG spawners ive seen out there were darrrk and long just like urs!....god knows weve still got 15s and 20s in this lake just hard to getem....they arnt big because their stupid!...... :beer:

FYI from the belhurst to kashong on the west side.....thats the hotspot for bigguns. mega honeyholes in that strech....LIVE ACTION!