Cannon Downrigger issue.

Has Been

Dear Has been,

The internal circuit board only controls the short stop "UP" feature. I would suspect the switch termination or the switch itself. Use extreme care, as internal parts for these old Cannons are not available. The rigger plug terminals have been eaten away on many of these old cannons also.

............Respectfully Submitted.....X-Jet boat Bill

maybe 350 made his first mistake I have ever saw I have 4 87 cannons and mine are all hard wired with no short stop or circut board but maybe in 86 they did so ya might be right as usual..bill. If ya got voltage to yer moter leads in the down position my guess would be brushes,almost doesnt make sence ...with the unit apart gently tap to moter with a screwdriver handle and see if ya get a little action never had to tear a moter apart so in not shure what the brush holders look like

I took the motor out & tested it w/ my battery charger. Worked both up & down by reversing polarity. I took the leads to the switch & put down on up & up on down. Down still would not work. Ohm checked switch, it seems OK . No power out of circut board to motor in down . Was thinking of bypassing the board & shortstop feature somehow. They are old & on their last leg I figure anyway. The Lexan motor housing where the drive gear stud goes into the motor housing has cracked off & it makes it sound rough on retrival. I can drop weight by loosening the drag but it's a pain.

to bypass you need a 4 wire switch and a short jumper wire of the breaker.............

The Lexan motor housing where the drive gear stud goes into the motor housing has cracked off & it makes it sound rough on retrival

this will cause you fits , it will start kicking out your breaker taking for ever to to bring it back up.......Screwy Leuy has short stop boards ....... BUT you have bigger problems that just that...... I had thought about filling the gear housing with grillia glue and drilling it back out but found housing in the mean time....

Dear HB,

If there is a discoloration line thru the black coating in the short stop board, Your unit may have been hit by LIGHTNING! If the motor works in both directions by jumping to to a 12V source. I would try the switch in the circuit with a good 12 V battery. An ohm meter will show you continuity, but the internal contact terminals may be burned. The Delco motor takes a 10 AMP draw so if the internal switch contacts are bad,....no go! ....I have repaired several of the early black case MAG 10's that took a LIGHTNING hit including three on my old boat. When properly assembled with no worn shaft or bushings...The unit should operate very quietly! I am afraid your past due for major maintainence...........Respectfully Submitted....X-Jet Boat Bill

P.S. Dear Ray K,.... Black case (SK Company) Mag 10's had the shortstop feature in 1986. I have not seen white case Mag 10's with the SS features. And when I fix the first mistake I made.....no one will know!!

Thank you guys for your input. They are nice riggers & do the job when working properly w/ no complaints.

Was thinking of selling my boat this year or early next. Would like to get them at least usable for the next guy if I sell with.

Wonder what the cost to fix them would be vs. new compairable or if they can even be fixed. To bypass Shortstop I will get my buddy the Electrician .

But I bet I can fix them w/ my California Framer.

Dear Has been,

The internal circuit board only controls the short stop "UP" feature.

I am not familiar with your model, but the older Cannons had a large wire-wound resistor on the circuit board in series with the motor in the down circuit that would cause the motor to run slower going down than going up. This significantly reduced the motor torque in the down direction. Any binding of the motor mount seems to significantly hinder the performance of the motor, and additional load could cause the resistor to overheat and burn out (open circuit). A crack in the case will cause this binding. I'm not 100% sure, but you may want to check voltage on both sides of the wire-wound resistor with the switch in the down position to see if this may be causing your problems.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem two yrs ago and it has now resurfaced after my last trip. Motor goes up and will stop when the down is pushed but will not go down. First time I just replaced the switch, I will replace the switch again and see if that solves the problem. I did not check any continuity on the switch.

Hopefully just changing the switch will fix it.

Spike

I had the same problem two yrs ago and it has now resurfaced after my last trip. Motor goes up and will stop when the down is pushed but will not go down. First time I just replaced the switch, I will replace the switch again and see if that solves the problem. I did not check any continuity on the switch.

Hopefully just changing the switch will fix it.

Spike

Well I changed my switch but it didn't work. My Cannons are Mag10HS's about four yrs old. Then to top off the one rigger issue the other rigger quit working going down on the trip I took yesterday. So now neither of them goes down.....

If it isn't the switch is it definitely the board? I was thinking of upgrading my riggers but didn't want to invest another $150 to get these working to sell....

Thanks

Spike

• 6 months later...

Well I changed my switch but it didn't work. My Cannons are Mag10HS's about four yrs old. Then to top off the one rigger issue the other rigger quit working going down on the trip I took yesterday. So now neither of them goes down.....

If it isn't the switch is it definitely the board? I was thinking of upgrading my riggers but didn't want to invest another $150 to get these working to sell....

Thanks

Spike

Well I just ordered two boards to fix the riggers. I do like the power down option. Leaves one hand free to tend the reel. Anyway I came back to add I ordered the boards from Cannon and also ordered an additional rod holder for the new Mag10xps I got. After the order I checked prices at an on-line site. The boards from Cannon were $10 cheaper and the rod holder assy was $30 cheaper! Check your prices where ever you order from. I always assumed the manufacture would be more expensive. I would have been wrong in this case. Reason I ordered thru them was I was interacting with the service rep about what the cause could be and since he was so helpfull I figured I'd just purchase the parts thru them.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Spike