Cannon Mag5HS connector problem

Has anyone else had issues with the electric "weatherproof" connectors on the Mag 5HS or other models? Twice now while disconnecting the riggers I have had the metal nipple from the male lead break and get stuck in the female lead. At $30 a pop to replace this is getting old! Any thoughts? and No I haven't been horsing them or twisting to get apart - just simply pulling them apart.

I have replaced three out of five of my 5hs rigger cords. The male end on the pins break while disconnecting them. If you do not disconnect them for a month or so they stick together making them next to impossible to disconnect witout breaking . Grease them with vasoline and problem solved. Wish the mother board issues with the 5hs riggers i am having was as simple to fix. Lost 13 boards in three years i have had them. Other captains in my area are also having way more than there share of problems with theres also. Cannon says no real problems with there boards. I have been told repair shops are working overtime to repair or replace mother boards. Please respond if you now own or are having problems with this model. Cannon has updated the 5hs to a 5xt and says that they have updated the electronics in the 5xt . Seems odd if do problems were apparent with the 5hs. Would really like feed back on this post. Thanks guys.

yep...I had the same thing just happen to me and ordered a new cable connecting to the rigger for $21. I will be sure to use electa-grease on them now.

My riggers are never connected for more than the weekend since I take them off when done after the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Have had to replace two cables so far ... same problem. Convert the boat back to family boat after every fishing outing so I don't leave them plugged in for long at all. Once you open the rigger housing to repair a cable your warranty is null and void .....................

I've had the same issues with two out of three next to new Mag 10HS on my boat. I cut the crummy things off and replaced the connectors with trailer wire connectors. I just wire green and brown to GND and yellow and white to +12. Work great! They have them at Home Depot for 7 bucks a set.

JAM