when is big o calmer

when is big o calmer?is it with a south wind or north and how much does a south or north wind below 10 mph affect the fishing.i'm just asking b/c i want to make a trip up to lake Ontario and i'm trying to judge what the lake is going to be like by the weather forecast and wind speed and direction.

Put it this way the lake has never been as predicted in all the times I have been on it...south wind is the best if you want calm...10mph or more you could probably still get quite a ways out on the lake before it got choppy anything out of the north, west or east more than 10mph steady would have it rolling pretty good for a smaller boat. There are some buoy websites you can go to that give you real time information maybe one of the Seasoned verterans can chime in with a link. Good luck out there and as always be careful.

Tom

they use to have the lake forecast on the weather page but they changed it and now it is gone.i have a 19' targa so if figure anything under 3-4 footers i won't be to worried more than that i'll be getting out of dodge.a link to live water conditions would be great b/c i will be driving from canandaigua up to sodus point.i hope i can atleast get one good day if not a couple next week when i'm back in ny for the week

If you bring up the NOAA weather page and then scroll down to the little map of the area you are searching for then hover of the map and drag it until you are out in the lake and then click on the lake it will give you the wave forecast...just a warning as stated above its not often to accurate here's the link...http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... it=0&lg=en

http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/bufMarineWeek.php<-----------Here's another one.

Tom

All depends on your location. Generally along the south shore, south wind is calmest. North wind out of Rochester can be brutal. If you're 12 miles out, wave can get big no matter which way wind is blowing. Obviously on the Canadian side, south winds make it pretty rough over there.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45012

This is the buoy in the center of the lake 20NM from Rochester. I will warn you that even this isn't fool-proof. I was out in 4+' waves this year at Wilson when this buoy and the one in front of St Catherines both said 1.6'. However you do it, it's a crap shoot and wave forecasts are often off by +/-2'.

jason is right . When NOAA says 1-3 think 3-5 . the predictions are very inacurate . I have been out in calm conditions (flat) ,when NOAA is saying 1-3 . Ypu can't really tell till you're out there , or better yet ,have a buddy out there with a cell phone . Makes it easier to go back to bed LOL

One other thing to keep in mind is that current wind forecast is noted and that results in a forecast for approximate wave heights assuming a starting point of flat calm. But what can really get you is what the wind was 6-12+ hours prior to that. So many times I have gone down to the launch because the wind is calm or out of the south but only 5-10mph, only to find that 2-4 footers are still rolling pretty good out of the east or west, depending on what the previous wind direction and speed was. Fishing with 1 or 2 other guys, its no big deal, but fishing alone or with a relative rookie for trolling and you can find yourself 4-5 miles out with rollers from the east and choppy waves coming at you from the south, and your like a tossed salad.

just sayin....!

when is big o calmer? is it with a south wind or north and how much does a south or north wind below 10 mph affect the fishing.i'm just asking b/c i want to make a trip up to lake Ontario and i'm trying to judge what the lake is going to be like by the weather forecast and wind speed and direction.

......when it's frozen! :rofl::rofl: