Trolling Flies

I was going to buy a bunch of A-Tom-Mik flies but I'm not sure if I should go with the rattle or eChip. I have some eChip flashers so I don't know if I should buy the flies with eChip. Anyway what is your preference, eChip or Rattle??

Thanks

Gregg

Neither.

Just beads on mine.

Glen

You thread them on the leader so they slide down to the head of the fly?

I slide the beads on the leader to the hook eye then slide the fly body on.

You want the beads inside the fly body.

Glen

Ok. Dumb question here but why are the beads even on the fly harness to begin with? With the fly over them can they even be seen by the fish? What difference does bead size and color make on the fly itself? I know color matters a lot to fish but if they can't see them then what's the thought behind it? I fish flies every time out and have always wondered. I figured they were there to protect leader between the single hook and treble from the sharp toothy kritters

Ok. Dumb question here but why are the beads even on the fly harness to begin with? With the fly over them can they even be seen by the fish? What difference does bead size and color make on the fly itself? I know color matters a lot to fish but if they can't see them then what's the thought behind it? I fish flies every time out and have always wondered. I figured they were there to protect leader between the single hook and treble from the sharp toothy kritters

Put a fly without beads in the water while trolling, look at it, then put the same fly WITH beads in the water, look at it.....

There IS A DIFFERENCE.

Bead size matters also... ;)

Rig one fly with one size beads, tie the same length leader behind your chip, as the same fly with bigger beads...observe the action of the two flies.

Same goes with HOOKS. (Maybe it all has to do with the overall weight of the rig?)

We troll with a Strike Vision underwater camera, and play with this stuff all the time....Fine tuning a rig to what we think looks good, doesn't mean much. But then all of a sudden a rig goes down and a salmon or muskie shows up immediately and tells us what THEY want!

So we duplicate it . 8)

I've had many days that a fly was hit so many times there were only a few strands of material left on it and it was still catching fish.

I believe the fish were hitting the beads.

I've also had many days that a white fly with white beads wasn't taking many shots and replaced it with a white fly with green beads and they were slamming it.

I'm a firm believer that bead size and color make a big difference in catch rates.

Raven made a good point regarding weight effecting action as well.

Speed and leader length also have alot to do with it.

Glen

I've had many days that a fly was hit so many times there were only a few strands of material left on it and it was still catching fish.

I've also had many days that a white fly with white beads wasn't taking many shots and replaced it with a white fly with green beads and they were slamming it.

I'm a firm believer that bead size and color make a big difference in catch rates.

Glen

;) Your boat misses you .....I'm tied up two slips away now ! 8)

Glen

;) Your boat misses you .....I'm tied up two slips away now ! 8)

Nice....

Be good to meet you.

Haven't fished in a couple of weeks but will be on the water for the next month or so.

A lot of stuff I had to do to get the business started that I couldn't do from up there.

Plan on being on the water for the next month or so. :yes:

Glen

• 4 weeks later...