I-Bay trolling question..

First off, let me say I don't really troll. The rare times I do, its just 2 flatlines off the stern in shallow water in the spring in Cayuga Lake. I catch a few here and there but am low tech and not very good. I have no interest in deep water trolling whatsoever. I usually stop the boat when I get a fish on using light tackle. Really not much of a troller at all.

Anyway, I was just at I Bay.. Took a group of kids to Sea Breeze on my school bus. I had 6 hours to kill, and brought a rod and worms to see if I could get anything to bite.. Mid day 85 degree heat, shore bound, I wasn't expecting much. Caught a few very small sunnies, and a skinny perch. Fished at the outlet jetty. I saw that I bay is a very sheltered body of water, and that my 15 foot/30 hp rig would be fine there. I have no need to find Bass panfish, Pike, Walleyes, Muskies there as I can get them much closer to home in the Fingers or the Susquehanna River. { I live in Candor NY]. My question is this.. Since a lot of big Salmonids pass through the bay, is it possible to take these large Salmon and Steelheads using very basic tolling techniques ?? As I stated, maybe just some long flatlines with Rapala, Rebels, Bombers etc?.. I catch the various FL Salmonids that way when I flatline in spring or fall, although its not something I do very often. My take is pitiful compared to the real trollers that are set up to do it right, but I usually catch a few. I guess the notion of of possibly catching some really big Salmon or Steelheads interests me.

Is there any time of year when those fish are readily available and catchable for a guy like me thats not very trolling savvy? Or is it strictly a deep water game year round , requiring the proper boat, trolling gear and good local knowledge??.. Not asking for "hotspots", just general information, and if its even worth the 2 1/2 hours drive in the fall or spring to give it a try... bob

On the fall as they're making there way to spawn the enter the bays. On a calm day if you fished the mouth of the channel with deep diving thunder sticks you should be able to pick some up. Many people cast heavy spoons off the pier too and catch them. Just going to need a long net.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Very early in the spring, you can get a lot of good size Browns, Stlhds & Cohos in all of the bays on the south shore on simple flatlines. In mid fall, especially at dusk you'll find some big kings, again, in all of the bays, although they may be very difficult to catch.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

April can be good in I bay, follow the shoreline and hit the points with small sticks or spoons. Only did it a couple times but had success.Dont know if fall time is worth it but have seen plenty of trout and salmon in there while perch fishing.

April can be good in I bay, follow the shoreline and hit the points with small sticks or spoons. Only did it a couple times but had success.Dont know if fall time is worth it but have seen plenty of trout and salmon in there while perch fishing.

So basically, its the exact same thing as I do on cayuga.. Troll the shorelines, using stickbaits... Stay in how much water?.. 10- 20 feet? bob

Study a topo map of I-bay before trolling it. The shore line can be very tricky. There are some fingers and drop offs that come out of nowwhere. North of the bridge on the East side you can have your bow on the shore & your motor over 50 FOW. :o

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Study a topo map of I-bay before trolling it. The shore line can be very tricky. There are some fingers and drop offs that come out of nowwhere. North of the bridge on the East side you can have your bow on the shore & your motor over 50 FOW. :o

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I love that spot - bow on gravel and casting just past the bridge pillar. All kinds of large fish wander through there...