Cayuga 8/15 Evening Jigging Trip

Well, a friend and I have been talking about doing more jigging, so this evening after work a group of four of us went out after work to give it a try for a few hours.

The good news -- we did not get rained on; we found some fish;and we had some fun. The bad news -- we only managed 1 fish total in the three hours we fished (a healthy 24" laker). The fish were there, but the waves made it tough to maintain good bottom contact and even when we were able to dangle our jigs in front of their noses, they did not want to bite. We tried white tubes, white paddle-tails, silver jigging spoon, chartreuse and white paddle tails, white shakers, silverish tubes, bucktail jigs, etc...

We marked a pretty steady supply of fish on bottom in 80-95 fow just north of AES and then we marked bait and some suspended fish out in front of AES. Surface temps were about 75 degrees.

Earlyriser...

I have been fishing Cayuga with jigs for years , and I don't do that great in the evening.. Maybe its just me, but evening just isn't near as productive for jigging lakers... at least for me on cayuga.

I can't say why, but i feel that the fish just aren't actively feeding for whatever reason.. You will see them, but they don't hit well.. thats NOT to say they can't be caught, they can.. However, I catch usually catch one or none, Maybe a hit , and a swing and a miss. Couple years ago I got 2 one evening and considered it a good deal.

Try the same exact spots you fished, using the same techniques and lures you used some morning at the crack of dawn until maybe 9:30 or 10... I would bet money you will have a very different outcome if you pick the right day...

Don't feel bad about the wind..\ Every trip for me this year with NO exceptions has been a white cap blow out.. Even just fishing for panfish. Its been a tough year for me as far as wind is concerned, and that goes for seneca this year as well.... bob

Thanks, Bob. I've had success some early mornings, but never in the evening. I had only tried jigging in the evening a couple times before, so I figured that was too small a sample size to conclude that evenings aren't great for jigging. Maybe that is the case, though... I guess I will stick to trolling when I get out in the evening. Kyle

early

most of my jigging is done at night, my wife dont get up early

I have caught some jumbo's at night, and some good numbers as well

the last hour before dark can get awesome,

for me the hard part is getting the jigs down when the lake gets rough, I cast down wind, seems to help