Desperate to catch walleye!!

idn713

Hey guys I gotta say I really want to catch a walleye! It seems to be the only species that regularly eludes me and I just really want to hook a few! I would prefer to jig but I have trolling gear as well. I would really like to go no further than 45 min from Rochester as I am in Brockport.PM me if you can help me out with info on a place to catch them! Or feel free to comment below.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Water is starting to cool down. They will start feeding heavier soon. Best time to catch them is when season is closed (unethical) and in the fall when they are feeding to bulk up for winter. Good luck. If it was easy to catch them consistently, they would be called bass.

From Brockport, the closest areas you have are the Genny and Lake Alice (I fished neither for Walleye) but like everyone said there are much better places to fish them with higher percentage - just a little further.

• 4 weeks later...

They are easy to catch in the Susquehanna River in the fall... Not real big, up to 23-24 inches, and lots of shorts, occasional one over 5 pounds but they are pretty rare. Most are 18-20 inches. On a good evening just before dark you can catch 3 or 4, or even limit out in less than an hour at certain times and certain places. 1/4 oz. jigs with a twister or small fluke tail is all you need.. Not sure its worth the drive, for you, but there are a lot of them in the river, and it takes no special skill to catch them here. Early morning, until about 9 am, or evenings from about 2 hours before dark, until nightfall. Mid days are a total waste of time on this river, until the water gets real cold, and then its jigs with a minnow fished slow and deep.... bob

They are easy to catch in the Susquehanna River in the fall... Not real big, up to 23-24 inches, and lots of shorts, occasional one over 5 pounds but they are pretty rare. Most are 18-20 inches. On a good evening just before dark you can catch 3 or 4, or even limit out in less than an hour at certain times and certain places. 1/4 oz. jigs with a twister or small fluke tail is all you need.. Not sure its worth the drive, for you, but there are a lot of them in the river, and it takes no special skill to catch them here. Early morning, until about 9 am, or evenings from about 2 hours before dark, until nightfall. Mid days are a total waste of time on this river, until the water gets real cold, and then its jigs with a minnow fished slow and deep.... bob

Chemung and further up it takes work, skill and luck. Sometimes, You can hit them in the face with awesome bait and they won't bite. Other times they hit as soon as it hits the water. Got find em, when they are biting, and then you got to know if they are slow biting (lippin) or not. We got about an hour separating us. I am wondering if you have more eyes to choose from and/or if they are not as well fed. Could be that you are really good at gettin them and don't see it as much of a challenge anymore. The only thing I disagree with is the part about no special skill needed. That sounds more like bass fishing.

If somebody is really desparate to catch a walleye. Goto a choking point in the river system that has walleyes. Dams, power plants, falls, etc. In the summer juveniles stack up there and spring and fall there will be some adults too. Bring extra tackle since these areas have high snag rates.

Have not tried there specifically, but I have heard that 'eyes can be found regularly where the Black Creek enters the Genesee on the way to Scottsville down Scottsville Rd before Jefferson Rd??? I know the Genny has them; have recently heard a lot of bad things about their taste (which they are famous for) being not good if caught in the lower Genesee north of Rochester. I have caught them in the Genny way to the south just south of Letchworth and they were good eats....But have heard it is not difficult to get them from the river at the piers at the Big O,again if you're not fryin' them up. Have done well with nice ones at dusk and after dark along and near shore casting and trolling on Honeoye, during the fall and spring in cooler weather, but have not been in over a year and have heard a couple of personally unverified not-to-great things about there this year.....they do taste great from there, though!

Have not tried there specifically, but I have heard that 'eyes can be found regularly where the Black Creek enters the Genesee on the way to Scottsville down Scottsville Rd before Jefferson Rd??? I know the Genny has them; have recently heard a lot of bad things about their taste (which they are famous for) being not good if caught in the lower Genesee north of Rochester. I have caught them in the Genny way to the south just south of Letchworth and they were good eats....But have heard it is not difficult to get them from the river at the piers at the Big O,again if you're not fryin' them up. Have done well with nice ones at dusk and after dark along and near shore casting and trolling on Honeoye, during the fall and spring in cooler weather, but have not been in over a year and have heard a couple of personally unverified not-to-great things about there this year.....they do taste great from there, though!

I used to fish black creek at the river regularly. You would not catch a walleye until 30 minutes before dusk and then there would be good action. Too many snages there now so I dont bother but in passing by on Scottsville rd, I see people fishing there regularly. There is a very nice small state boat launch there if you want to launch something under 16 feet and fish the creek. Lots of northerns, smallies, and walleyes in it.

If you have waited this long wait till nov. fisrt part dec. and head for the Bay of Quintie. It would be worth the wait and the drive, i hear i am hoping to go around second week of nov. It is around hour and a half to two hours from where i live and to me it will be worth it if i can make it. Good luck.

If you want a trophy( 10+ lbs.) Quinte is hard to beat right before ice up but the whole Eastern end of Lake Ontario is also a great place to fish eyes. I'm personally getting into the hunting mode but will likely make a few more runs for salmon and walleyes throughout the fall. Oh, and I should give muskies a try as I've never really given them a serious effort because hunting always seems to get in the way. So many choices and so little time!

My uncle and hardcore bass budy were out last week over in Chaumont bay and were mad becouse they were trying for a 6# smallmouth they cought everything up to but can't get 6#er becouse all they cought were huge stinking WALLEYE!! I said what the hell are you two knuckleheads talking about (stinking walleye) they told me they cought them on dropshots tubejigs even on spinnerbaits and they are a pain in the ass to take off the hook,Now I herd alot of bs. in my time but they were dead nut serious! If I only had their troubles life would be GRAND!!

Hey guys I'm not telling you a story, matter of fact they said other guy's were there and they were fishing for walleyes and had several of walleye as big and some bigger than the fish they cought and they tell my uncle that they are for some reason back in the bay again, which makes me beleive that in the fall they make a return trip for some reason, from what I gather from this discussion that these guys knew what they were doing. We have a camper in the Black River bay camp grounds and every year we would be after the salmon in the trench these two old guys would come up and go walleye fishing, they told us that they start fishing in 30 ft of water strait out from the silo (north side of black river bay and end up in chaumont bay) and those guy's had really nice size walleyes, every day for about 3-5 days they would fish the same area and every time they came in (around 5-6 Oclock they had nice walleye, I never asked any questions they seemed tight lipped about their honeyhole but it's as true as I sit here I saw it with my own eyes!!!!!

Pap, thats a bass fisherman for ya. I have a hard time believing that they couldn't find a 6lb'r bronzeback this time of year. They are usually all over the bay and have their feed bags on right now. They were probably out too deep. Tell them to try 8-15 ft around the points. If all they continue to catch is stinking walleye, tell them I will pay for shipping to send to Corning. I have freezer space availlable for stinking walleye. ;)

Walleye are starting to feed. I finally caught a few. I don't consider it a huge problem but the bass are hammering everything right now, so getting to the walleye is a little bit more difficult. These cold nights are good for the bite. good luck everybody.

BSmaster the guy my uncle was with is what I call a step or two below pro bass dude, he travels all over the place to bass fish in tornaments that pay not real big bucks, but enough to make it worth his while, he just won a new boat sweet looking boat if you like your ass an inch off the water :lol: 65mph. over the water for what? since when did fishing team up with top fuel cars? :rofl: Anyway I don't think Dave is a anything type of fisherman if it isn't bass it is what he calls junk fish (they don't pay to catch) where my uncle is like the rest of us , if it puts up a fight it called fishing and I will bet my last dollar it KILLED him to not go after those walleye, if it were he and I you bet we would of hung in there tight till we figured them stinking walleye out. One of the old sayings (you should of been there) O/well till next time be safe and tight lines to all PAP :clap:

on walleye i have caught my share of 10 lb I fish the allegheny in Pa. As winter comes on nothin beats a live bait on a jig or fishing a rapala--fish it slow and work and cast change up speed and at night very lightly play it youll get em

Are you closer to Spillway or Pittsburgh? I always wanted to fish the Alleghany but The drive has kept me from making the trip so far. I also never really understood if I needed to buy a trout stamp to fish there because there are trout there. Would I get a ticket even though I am not fishing for them? PA rules can be even more confusing than NY rules.