Wild fish

It could be that a lot of the success of the natural reproduction for kings is that they do not have to spend a summer in the river. They are hatched in Oct/Nov and out by May/June. Cohos, steelhead, Atlantics spend at least one summer in the river where I think they are subject to a lot more mortality due high river temps. YOY salmonids cannot withstand water temps in the upper 60’s, lower 70’s for extended periods.

It could be that a lot of the success of the natural reproduction for kings is that they do not have to spend a summer in the river. They are hatched in Oct/Nov and out by May/June. Cohos, steelhead, Atlantics spend at least one summer in the river where I think they are subject to a lot more mortality due high river temps. YOY salmonids cannot withstand water temps in the upper 60’s, lower 70’s for extended periods.

Or...maybe SOME of the cohos are wild, and the DEC doesn't clip the adipose on the stocked coho's, so we wouldn't know the difference?

Only King's are clipped. There is plenty of natural reproduction with both but a lot more of kings and a lot more concern with the number of kings, although the amount that make it to the lake is just a guess at this point. Look at the DEC Lake Ontario reports for the past few years. There is some good info on natural reproduction of Chinooks. I will try to find some more info on Cohos.

With the well publized info on natural Kings; some info on natural Atlantics; & a couple of lakers here & there, it's only logical that the others are doing it also, although to what extent, only a few really know.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

There are clipped Coho salmon out there (left pectoral). We have caught & delivered them to D.E.C. The problem is neither the D.E.C. or the Ontario ministry of natural resources said they NEVER have clipped any. I questioned both agencies at same time during state of lake meetings. Jana Lantry (FED stocking guru to me @ least) worked on the last coho we gave her at a Niagara co. Pro-Am. She did confirm a fin clip and not a mutation/hatchery tank deformity.

Jerry

Rebel Charters

I sent an email to Dan Bishop of the DEC and asked him about Cohos in the Salmon River. They see a lot of young of the year Coho as well as Steelhead along with the Chinooks when they haul seine in May. The Coho move to the tributaries of the Salmon River during the summer as the main river gets too warm. He did not say how many would eventually make it to the Lake.

:no::no:

There are clipped Coho salmon out there (left pectoral). We have caught & delivered them to D.E.C. The problem is neither the D.E.C. or the Ontario ministry of natural resources said they NEVER have clipped any. I questioned both agencies at same time during state of lake meetings. Jana Lantry (FED stocking guru to me @ least) worked on the last coho we gave her at a Niagara co. Pro-Am. She did confirm a fin clip and not a mutation/hatchery tank deformity.

Jerry

Rebel Charters

Why would any agency clip a fish's pectoral fin??? It is a pretty crucial fin for stability in swimming. I can understand an adipose fin clip, but certainly not a purposeful pectoral fin clip. :no::no:

We are having an "influx" of Cohos this year on Lake Erie or at least some strange "natrual repro" going on somewhere...I personally know of about 9 Cohos caught off the PA shore this summer...

Here are 2 from last weekend:

581047_10151062084028853_1440526829_n.jpg

12lber

2012-08-19094747.jpg

8 lber

Also saw 2 Kings in the same size range come in the weekend of our annual PRO AM as well as a couple Pinks...