Kicker motor on a trophy 2002WA or similar boat. Good idea?

Irish Buoy

Name: Paul Oliver

Home Port:Marcy, NY

Boat Name/Type:Irish Buoy

I fish for: Pike/Bass/salmon

==================

I wanted to know if I could get some feed back about putting a kicker motor on my 2007 Trophy 2002 Walkaround. If this is a good idea or not. And if so how to go about it. Pictures of existing units would be great. As always thank you for sharing your fishing knowledge.

Paul Oliver

Irish Buoy

[email protected]

• 1 month later...

Installed a Tohatsu 9.8 on my 2102 late this season. Used a panther motor mount, ez steer for steering and a control king for throttle control. Got to shake the bugs out and make a few trips on the new setup before pulling the boat and am very happy. Works great and would definitely do it again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am also getting ready to install a Mecury 9.9 pro kicker on my 2002WA also, looking for set up photo's for ideas on mounting, would like to use a stationary mount but everyone I find is not rated for a 96lb motor. Would also like to tie into the main gas tank. Any info would be a great help! Do's and don't's from the pro's are also helpfull.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave - Check Cabela's  I've had mine for a while and its worked great and mine is rated to 115 pounds andt he motor weighs 90 or so (9.9 horse).

post-145411-0-92120800-1363716774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

I believe a kicker is a great idea for anyone who trolls on big lakes because of both the safety factor and the gas savings. I just set up my new-to-me 2001 Trophy 2002 with a 9.8 Tohatsu on a fixed mount that also has wireless steering included. I also attached a Troll Master throttle so I can dial-in precise trolling speeds. Dying to get it out on the water...

One thing I ran into, though, with the fixed mount was that I had to get an Extra Long Shaft to ensure that it would stay deep enough in the water during rough water.

Here are a couple of pics.

post-149002-0-77793100-1363739644_thumb.jpg

post-149002-0-78875900-1363739662_thumb.jpg

post-149002-0-47119200-1363739679_thumb.jpg

Edited by EarlyRiser

Thanks Earlyriser,

I have a 20" long shaft, Troll master Pro2 and will purchase a easy steer once I get it mounted and check for length. Nice set up you have there. Mind is a 2002 yr and looks the same as yours. One question though how far is your set back so you can tip your motor up without hitting the back of the boat with the motor when tipped up?

thanks again,

Dave

Hey Dave. I wanted a fixed mount and read about the strain that EZ steer can put on steering systems, plus the constant adjustments, so I decided to roll both the steering and the mount into one unit.  The Remote Troll unit sets the motor back somewhere around 12" or so, just enough that I can tip the motor up all the way, but not so far that I can't reach the shift lever and electric start button. Here is a pic of another setup direct from the manufacturer's website showing a kicker on a Trophy with the motor tilted all the way up.

http://www.remotetroll.com/products/RT-200-TL-W.php

There is a second feed off the top of the main fuel tank, but I elected to go with the easier option of connecting the fuel line for the kicker to the second output of the water/fuel separator that I use for the main motor (most have one line in with dual lines out).

Kyle