Species Breakdown: King, RB

Trolling Speed: 2.3 - 2.9

Down Speed: 2.1 - 2.7

Boat Depth: 140 -300

Lure Depth: 60 - 100

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Started out in about 140’ of water. Took a rip on the 220 Wire, rod was dead by the time I got to it, brought it in and the leader was gone. Hmm, should have gone home right after that cuz things sure didn’t go any better after.

A little later saw two boats kinda close together up aways, didn’t think too much about it till we saw that one boat was DEC. They made their way back to us and pulled up alongside.

“Sir, need you to hold up two life preservers and two fishing licenses for me please†was the call from the twin Yammy powered vessel.

I popped my head into the cuddy cabin and grabbed two vests and held them up. That provoked an approving nod from the officer. My dad already had his license out, so I reached into my pocket for mine. Ut –oh, no license. :o Must have left it in the car back in Ithaca. I held up dads license and told them I didn’t have mine on board.

“Need your name, DOB, address, and phone number†was the reply from the officer. After I gave them that, the vessel moved off a bit. I thought good, they will look me up on their on-board computer, and they wont have to board us and look for more issues, cool! After about 5 minutes the vessel moved closer, and one officer handed me a ticket - which wasn’t easily done in 3 & 4 foot seas, and six lines out, I might add.

“Sir, get a copy of your license and send it in with this ticket, and it will get dismissed†said the officer. I thanked him and the twin Yammies roared to life. Phew, dodged one there! Coulda been a lot worse.

Oh yeah, we were fishing, right? Noticed the other wire rig had a shaker on it so brought that in and released a small Rainbow. Slid out to 300’ of water and was still reading 70 + degrees on my probe, down 100. Is that thing working? Holy crap. Looked at the Moor display and it was jumping around – 71. 65. 38! Then back to a steady 71. ??? After a bit released a small king that had hit the 250 wire pulling an NBK spoon. Pointed the boat for the bay and got a release on the 100’ rigger, SD & fly. Set the hook and fish was on for a second then gone. Reeled it in and the fly and half the leader was gone. ;( That rig had taken a lot of hits on it the past few trips, I guess I missed a nick someplace? Oh well, lets go in. Headed into the bay and noticed right away a blue light flashing ahead – Harbor Patrol! He had a boat pulled over and was talking to them. I looked at our speed and we were going 5 MPH. Good, lets just slide right past them and get the boat back on the trailer. NOPE! He heads straight for us and turns on the blue flashing lights again.

“How many times do you use the bay here?†was the call from the officer. About once a month was my reply.

“Then you are aware of our no wake policy here?†was the annoyed voice from the flashing blue light clad boat.

I said back that yes, I am aware and we were going 5 MPH…

“No wake does NOT mean 5 MPH, it means no wake†was the now very annoyed reply from the officer. I bit my lip hard and apologized, thinking -I don’t know what the inside of a cell in Sodus NY looks like, but better not find out either. :@

We finally got to the ramp and some guy was wading in the water for about 20 minutes looking for something that fell out of his boat. Why not? Seemed perfectly normal for this day!

Finished off our trip by stopping in at Warrens. Our thanks to Troy, who happily helped us refill our tackle boxes. Was definitely the high point of the day. :yes:

Fishing Report

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s): 8/16

Wind Speed/Direction: SE

Waves: 2-3+

Surface Temp: 74

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 4

Total Boated: 2

Species Breakdown: King, RB

Trolling Speed: 2.3 - 2.9

Down Speed: 2.1 - 2.7

Boat Depth: 140 -300

Lure Depth: 60 - 100

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Started out in about 140’ of water. Took a rip on the 220 Wire, rod was dead by the time I got to it, brought it in and the leader was gone. Hmm, should have gone home right after that cuz things sure didn’t go any better after.

A little later saw two boats kinda close together up aways, didn’t think too much about it till we saw that one boat was DEC. They made their way back to us and pulled up alongside.

“Sir, need you to hold up two life preservers and two fishing licenses for me please†was the call from the twin Yammy powered vessel.

I popped my head into the cuddy cabin and grabbed two vests and held them up. That provoked an approving nod from the officer. My dad already had his license out, so I reached into my pocket for mine. Ut –oh, no license. :o Must have left it in the car back in Ithaca. I held up dads license and told them I didn’t have mine on board.

“Need your name, DOB, address, and phone number†was the reply from the officer. After I gave them that, the vessel moved off a bit. I thought good, they will look me up on their on-board computer, and they wont have to board us and look for more issues, cool! After about 5 minutes the vessel moved closer, and one officer handed me a ticket - which wasn’t easily done in 3 & 4 foot seas, and six lines out, I might add.

“Sir, get a copy of your license and send it in with this ticket, and it will get dismissed†said the officer. I thanked him and the twin Yammies roared to life. Phew, dodged one there! Coulda been a lot worse.

Oh yeah, we were fishing, right? Noticed the other wire rig had a shaker on it so brought that in and released a small Rainbow. Slid out to 300’ of water and was still reading 70 + degrees on my probe, down 100. Is that thing working? Holy crap. Looked at the Moor display and it was jumping around – 71. 65. 38! Then back to a steady 71. ??? After a bit released a small king that had hit the 250 wire pulling an NBK spoon. Pointed the boat for the bay and got a release on the 100’ rigger, SD & fly. Set the hook and fish was on for a second then gone. Reeled it in and the fly and half the leader was gone. ;( That rig had taken a lot of hits on it the past few trips, I guess I missed a nick someplace? Oh well, lets go in. Headed into the bay and noticed right away a blue light flashing ahead – Harbor Patrol! He had a boat pulled over and was talking to them. I looked at our speed and we were going 5 MPH. Good, lets just slide right past them and get the boat back on the trailer. NOPE! He heads straight for us and turns on the blue flashing lights again.

“How many times do you use the bay here?†was the call from the officer. About once a month was my reply.

“Then you are aware of our no wake policy here?†was the annoyed voice from the flashing blue light clad boat.

“No wake does NOT mean 5 MPH, it means no wake†was the now very annoyed reply from the officer. I bit my lip hard and apologized, thinking -I don’t know what the inside of a cell in Sodus NY looks like, but better not find out either. :@

We finally got to the ramp and some guy was wading in the water for about 20 minutes looking for something that fell out of his boat. Why not? Seemed perfectly normal for this day!

Finished off our trip by stopping in at Warrens. Our thanks to Troy, who happily helped us refill our tackle boxes. Was definitely the high point of the day. :yes:

I had my turn with the DEC on Wednesday. I was Captaining for another boat, who's owner couldn't make it due to his "real job". Just hooked up to a fish and here they come! They politely pulled up along side us while the young lady was battling, checked fishing licenses, Life jackets, My Captains License, and both mine and the Mates Maritime Consortium cards !

Everything was legit, so they moved on their way ! :D

And you can also feel good about warning others about this. I always drop speed to 5mph when going through the channel. Never knew about the "no wake" policy, so thanks for the heads up! :beer:

They are a bit selective about when they actually decide to enforce that no wake zone in sodus..........

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I didn't think they ever did? Every weekend I have a boat fly by me in the no wake zone.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

You really don't have to check those leaders and wires very often, Thats all just a myth :lol: . Yes it does appear that the patrols have stepped up considerably in the bay and on the lake. Good reminder to check your safety gear once in awhile.

Kind of reminiscent of my trip to Sodus last month.

Here's a quote from my post for that trip!:

When we came in, the waves crests were doing 12 mph and I came down the channel in a following sea just maintaining steerage and not get swamped from behind. The local sheriff met us at ramp and wanted to know if I was "the skipper of this vessel". He wasn't real pleasant and I think he was getting ready to ticket us for exceeding the 5 MPH speed limit. My son is a police officer and once that fact was conveyed, the hardass rhetoric eased a bit.

I guess the point of m gripe is, He didn't take sea conditions in the channel into account!

I wonder who he's going to ticket for the waves moving too fast???

Trust me I am all for enforcing that no wake zone, it is very important. I just wish they would nab some pleasure boats and sail boats who literally go FULL speed right by law enforcement boats and not guys who go 5 and have a tiny wake. Musta been cause it was crappy weather...

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Surprised the border patrol didn't show up to look for illegal Canadians trying to get in and use are health care system.

We got accosted twice by border patrol in northern Maine while we were goose hunting near the border. They don't take too kindly to guys walking around in the dark next to the river with headlamps on!!!

They were great when they figured out what we were doing but they come in force when they come!!! Several carloads!! :)