Good Jigging

Hello All,

Seems like every boat fishing trip has its minor disaster. It was still a little dark when I pulled into the Geneva city launch, weaving between all the tents, trailers, and traffic control sawhorses.

"Looks like there's some kind of festival going on. I'd better launch quickly before the crowds get here."

After dumping the boat, I couldn't find a place to park. After detaching the trailer so i could jam myself in a corner, I returned to the dock. By then there was just enough daylight to read the sign saying the launch was closed. GRRRR! Why didn't they just put a couple of those sawhorses in front of the ramp, sparing goofs like me this kind of aggrivation?

I was tying to decide whether to fish Canandaigua or Sampson, then remembered that there is a state park right nearby with its own ramp. So I didn't lose too much early morning fooling around.

I had the specter of canandaigua troller's 15 pound laker in my head, this being the very spot where it bit. Belhurst quickly latched me onto another one of her monsters. I could feel its headshakes all the way up to my shoulders, and it peeled drag for the bottom each time I made any progress cranking it up. This is where I remembered that I didn't tie on a fresh leader. It was probably first knotted on last year, and had spent many hours being sizzled by UV rays as it sat unused in the rod holder while I trolled away on Canandaigua Lake throughout the summer. Using all the telepathy I could muster, I willed those fluorocarbon fibers to maintain their tired, feeble molecular grip on each other for just one more fish. My psychic dabblings were answered by a breakoff that was sudden and final.

That's the problem with boat fishing. There is so much to tend. Keeping the licensure current, the motors purring, the trailer lights glowing, the batteries charged, the oil and gas mixed, the wiring connected, and a million other things. And your entire purpose can be defeated by 5 cents' worth of fresh leader material you failed to take the 90 seconds to tie on. None of this bears any resemblance to going fishing as a kid, where I'd grab my pole and tackle box, hop on my bike, and be on my way.

Of course, as a kid, I didn't catch a dozen lake trout between 23 and 28 inches in a single morning, either!

Belh1.jpg

Pete Collin

http://www.pcforestry.com

Hi Pete,

i feel for you man, and you are so right about how much there is to tend to in order to keep everything working well.

I was at geneva thurs am. I launched in the dark and my buddy and i had a great few hours of jigging when a fellow jigger (who i don't know) drove up and said they're about to tow all the vehicles with trailers. So i head back pronto, move my vehicle and later heard that a tow truck had been called. WTF!!!! there were no signs that day; i parked where vehicles with trailers always pard; and i nearly got towed!!!! I'm thankful to whoever it was that warned me (I wish i had gotten his name; he was definitely a cool dude).

i've enjoyed your many posts, Pete.

best,

andre

So true!! Too much to do with all the damn gear....

I sometimes long for.the days I loaded the little 12er in the back of the truck and just slid the rig off into Hemlock :clap: Trailers and parking lots are a pain :no:

Some launches man :@

keep the posts Comin Pete :beer:

what was going on there that you could not use a boat launch?? Let alone they would tow your vehicle and trailer away, what a shame. Lake Trout Capitol of the World, my arse!

I saw signs about hydroplane racing but I think that is in September, so yet another weekend to avoid Geneva.

Pete, excellent storytelling, we all can relate to the words in your tale.

be carefull in geneva....the city cops are ASSSSSSSHOLES...they target the fisherman and boaters....they make mannnny trips to that parking lot to check reg's and trailers almost daily .....to the point where its way too obvious what they are doing.....I live in this town and i know their time could be spent doing more worthwhile things than harrassing taxpaying boaters and fisherman that are out stimulating our local economys with their paychecks....and hitting on all the tellers @ the local banks when they are out walking the beat downtown trying to rid our city of the welfare sucking leeches that cause trouble sitting on their stoops all day. 8) ......the boat ramp @ chamber of commerce has been out for a while now but as u guys said they dont make it to visible half the time the sign is on the ground tipped over or where no trailer yeilding individual could see it upon entrace to the park.