Sandy 8/19/12 - 34lb. 6 oz. lake trout

What a great fish of a lifetime - congrats!

Brian - the DEC can age lake trout by scales (highly unreliable especially with older fish) but I know they can also look at bone structures (possibly called otoliths) in their inner ears which I think can grow like rings on a tree. The only way they could do this would be to cut into the fish and I don't think you're going to want that until the Derby is over...lol.

Great job on your fish bud,

- Chris

That's right! Otoliths are actually round(ish) calcifications in the "ear". They have to extract them and then slice them very thin and count the growth rings. That would be the best way to age one. It may take some extra effort but you could probably get at them from inside the mouth since you are planning on doing a skin mount.

Congrats on that awesome fish!

Brian

Brian & Team that was AWESOME.

Thanks for coming over to show me/crew & family that fish. It does look to be a Natural produced lake trout depending on the official age of it. Only 1 old/small scar on the entire fish WOW. You are so right on about the "little network of Sandy creek guy's". EVERY Charter capt. & ALL rec. boats & launchers & marina owners, ALL share in each OTHERS wins & success. You do not see that very often in any other port on this lake. NOW please tell me what the 12 donut combination is you guy's use every time you go out ? Is the over/under 4 on the French curlers ? Again great job and good luck with it.

Jerry

Rebel Charters

PS Brian i need to get you a remote control for our opening/closing skylites in our house, if you are going to continue WHOOPING it up off our house and locations east, PLEASE shut our skylites BEFORE the 1st cowbell gets bellow 120 ft down.

Wasn't there a behemoth near 40 lbs that was caught off the Niagara maybe ten years ago? On a jig too, if I'm not mistaken. That's the only other one that I can remember (which isn't saying much...).

Wasn't there a behemoth near 40 lbs that was caught off the Niagara maybe ten years ago? On a jig too, if I'm not mistaken. That's the only other one that I can remember (which isn't saying much...).

Dave Chilson of the LOC told me there was one caught at 39lbs a while ago. The other was the one mentioned above my post.