Why give out fishin info?

Noticed on a recent entry some grumbling about people giving out too much fishing info. I have to admit that I was hesitant to give out too much info when I started on this site. I thought my fishing holes would immediately be flooded with boats. Bottomline now is that I have not seen this where I fish. The Finger Lakes are so big, most of the time I have plenty of room to fish. I also understand that some people have put in years getting the right stuff working (location, lures, techniques, etc. ). From what I have seen the younger generation is not taking up the sport like us old f--ts. I feel really bad about that. If through this site we can get some of them into a 10 lb laker on light equipment on their first few trips we will have them hooked for life and what better catch can we have? Excuse me for my ranting and raving. Just my opinion, for what it is worth.

I couldn't agree more guff. I just spent two weeks trying to teach my two nephews (8 & 13) a few things and they both wound up boating the biggest fish they have ever tied into. They have since returned back to the city but a day hasn't gone by when they haven't asked me when were are going again.

You said it. Why not help? The only time I got burned was five years ago or so, I was naming a very specific spot probably 200 x 50 feet. As I was fishing during the week I almost never saw anyone there... a few weeks later come derby time there had to be 20 boats in that one spot! So now I limit it to "AES" or whatever, just giving the general area, and they're popular spots anyway, no secrets.

But as far as technique goes, what to use, how to fish it, depth, etc, I'll tell anybody anything they want to know. It's hard enough as it is. Back in the day everyone had zipper lips... but they also snagged creek fish with Michigan crickets, used big nets to exterminate the native Atlantics, cleared creeksides which warmed the creeks and stopped natural reproduction, dammed everything in sight, etc etc.... this is all to say, the old ways aren't always the best ways.

I learned a lot from guys here in the beginning and am more than happy to give back. Might not have ever bought a boat and had some of the most memorable times of my life. So thanks to all for contributing!

Well said Hermit and Lakebound 88 .... Just because someone mentions a particular spot on the Fingers doesn't pinpoint the exact location, you are still gonna do a bit of work on your own to really locate the fish.... Im not gonna give you the exact gps coordinates but I will put u in the general area and tell you what there smacking.. Lol..

Mike

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Some of us only get out a few times a season. Work, Family and other obligations limit my time on the water. When there is no money on the line, (Derbys and such) I for one are thankful for all the help I can get when fishing with limited time constraints. Personally I through back all but one or two fish during the summer. I've learned a lot through this site and always try to pass it on. So Thanks for the help! Draginflys

I put in alot of time and $$ tring to figure out these lakes long before this great site came around. I have no problem helping guys get dialed in, people have done the same for me in the past. There are a few grumpsout there who think everything has got to b a big secret. My advice is if u dont like sharing info, dont get on a forum such as this..

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I for one am very happy this site exists and grateful to the people like @Guff and @Hermit who openly share information and answer questions with full details.

I have lived next to the lake for 3 years now and had never caught anything but perch and bass before this year... I always assumed catching Lakers required heavy equipment and professional training... Also any other method to catch Lakers like Jigging was some kind of secret and you had to know the right people to learn how to catch fish that way.

Earlier this year I came across a post by Hermit and that perception changed... Anyone who has seen the reports Iv posted knows this year I have caught a good number of Lake Trout while Jigging and I will say as a result, this has been the best year of my fishing life on Cayuga.

I want to thank all those who posted detailed screenshots of fish finders and guides on what Jigs to use and how to use them....

I think the guides on Hermit's site really made the difference for me and I'm now in the process of teaching my buddies how to catch fish Jigging.

Hell, yesterday a guy was putting his boat in as we were putting ours on the trailer. He saw the one laker we kept and said how do u catch fish like that... I saw he had a few poles in his boat, his 8ish year old son with him and a fishfinder, so I told him where I was, gave him my 2 minute tutorial about how to Jig for Lakers, handed him some of Alec's jigs out of my box and wished him luck...

Sharing information is what makes this site awesome...

I wouldn't be catching half the salmon I am right now if it wasn't for sites like these. These sites have helped me dial into what works almost right away so I could enjoy fishing the lakes from day one. I don't actually think it hurts to tell guys more or less where to look for fish, and what is working. So many things change from one day to the next that you can just reapply everything and hook into 100 fish. It's still work and experience at play to get decent numbers.

The only info I hesitate sharing is river fishing locations. When I'm fishing from the river banks (after boat season is over) I find that if you post a particular location then you end up with a whole lotta snaggers and the poor fish don't stand a chance being trapped in a tight hole. It's obviously much different than lake fishing. You can cause some reel damage to a species in the rivers.

Gotta love Lake Ontario United, :yes: and those Captains that openly share info, & answer ALL the questions that have been asked and answered repeatedly before :yes: Then ya got ones like Iron Duke that actually sell the stuff, and is more than willing to answer AND set up all your equipment :yes: Yep gotta love Lake Ontario "United"....Like Guff said above....."From what I have seen the younger generation is not taking up the sport like us old f--ts. I feel really bad about that. If through this site we can get some of them into a 10 lb laker on light equipment on their first few trips we will have them hooked for life and what better catch can we have? ".....I've seen it happen with trapping.....slowly nipping at hunting....I for one would hate to see it happen with fishing.....so yeah.....sharing is a good thing ! :yes:8) & I for one THANK YOU !! that have helped me, the ones that know it & the ones that don't know they have :P

I think it all boils down to the fact that , in the finger lakes, there are plenty of fish for everybody. Last weekend while I was hosing them, there were 2 or three other boats sharing the whole huge hotspot. We had no problem staying out of everybody's way. It took me a while getting used to telling other guys what I know about the fingers, because I was a stream fisherman long before i bought a boat. Loose lips will atom bomb shops when it comes to fishing you can walk to!

Pete

Now that I am retired, I fish week days a lot. Some days there are no other boats on Seneca that I can see. Today, I saw one other boat pulling copper. The lake is full of fish...they are all over the place, but they do have tails and they move around a lot. Today's hot spot is tomorrow's BS talk. The bottom line I think, is the comment that Nick made...what is this site for if not to share fishing info of all kinds?

Don't worry...lots of fish for every body...we are lucky to live near a truly great fishery.

I still am careful about my Brook trout, but really appreciate your input and sharing knowledge.

I still can't catch anything on SD, and flies, but you guys give me hope! Still can catch fish doing my micro fishing with my grandads rigs.

I still am careful about my Brook trout, but really appreciate your input and sharing knowledge.

I still can't catch anything on SD, and flies, but you guys give me hope! Still can catch fish doing my micro fishing with my grandads rigs.

:yes::yes: Mag dipsy on a 1.5 30lb wire out 280 with white glow spinny/white glow or blue glow fly at 2.0 to 2.2 speed at ball you will catch Lakers all day on the Fingers.

If sharing info keeps some guy from giving up and gets some kids into the sport im all for it. If you need help just ask, lots of us have the info you need. Sean

Someone on here (Hermit?) once said it's not us against each other, it's us against the fish. :yes:

I'm thankful for this site and the few people I have met already. Because of them we landed our first Laker (Cayuga) and rainbow (Seneca) this weekend. After only 5 trips I'd say we came up the learning curve pretty quick.

The laker was all thanks to Hermit, my 9 yr old daughter caught it jigging and was as happy as can be.

The rainbow was thanks to Mortigan, Iron Duke, and others advising me to switch my dipsy pole to wire. First time out, fished 60' down with a UV spoon, and my 6 yr old son has a lasting memory.

:beer:

I usta give out DETAILED info such as fished from point A to point B 80' to 100' FOW .....down 40' , 50 '60' back ect......... anyways found LOTS of company ......my fault ......now I post how much I feel like at the time , some more detailed than others..............BUT have answered many PM's in more detail IF they are also sharing.............so ....... to all who share fishing info be it by PM or posting a report with as much detail as you want :yes::yes::yes: ....... to all the looker's and those that ask for info then use it and keep THEIR results to themselves :no:

i have been fishin the fingers for many years and the one thing that hasnt been mentioned, the fact that last hours hot spoon and perfect depth wont cacth another fish that day, this is what keeps me coming back. there has been so many times that ive taken fish two passes in a row then never move a rod till i change location or speed or depth or color or direction. this being said i will spill my guts to anyone that asks because it all has changed. may be the same the next day at the same time, but not to likely . gotta love this game!!

Sharing info on the world wide web is ok on lakes that can HANDLE the pressure. The finger lakes trout and Lake Ontario trout and salmon are stocked for the most part and short lived so it is no big deal. Smaller lakes with natural reproduction species may not be able to take the pressure. Just be smart and do not over publicize the smaller bodies of water with fragile fisheries. This site is here to share info BUT, I think the reports sections should be limited to members that contribute and have higher posts. Any everyday Joe can become a member and join just to take info from the site and not give a thing back.

I used to go trolling on Keuka and Seneca with my family when i was younger, and i remember a 5 fish day being a GREAT day! Even catching one fish was well worth going out. Then i found this forum and got so much advice from everyone and with a few equipment upgrades and some new knowledge and techniques (all thanks to this site) i have had several days with 10+ fish and a few in the 30+ range. Thank you all for the info that is posted here every day and the quick replies to specific questions :yes::yes::yes: It has made for some very enjoyable days on the lake in the last few years!!