Why give out fishin info?

I always liked that about the site. I am relatively new to the area, and I will tell ya, I could not have experienced the fishing I have experienced without the help of a LOT of folks on here. The list is pretty long, and memory even worse.

But its quite common. Lake Winnebago WI was good for that. Tough to find a good resource. Now, even in the days of the internet, I found more success in my "soft" approach. Nothing beats a quick talk over a beer or coffee. Connect, then stay connected.

And I think that drives the resentment. A quick note with good info cant be beat, but develop the relationship first. There could be a lot of good advice your missing because a fishing tip.

Always try to help where I can. Love the comment about kids and fishing. Its even more motivation. Sometimes the transformation is truly incredible!

Komo2.jpg

We fishermen are a bunch of "oddballs"....eccentric as hell and each loving our own eccentricities :>) I've fished the Finger Lakes and surrounding streams for 63 years of my 67 years on this planet. Some of my earlier years were spent with some of the most knowledgable fishermen in the area (at the time anyway)...some of whom wrote articles and books on the subject (e.g. Scott Sampson). Some of them openly shared "secrets" while others kept their knowledge to themselves. The most extreme was a father and son I knew very well that kept their spots from each other as well as their techniques... even during the Seneca Lake Trout Derby they wouldn't divulve info to each other....unreal! Most fishermen are competitive to some degree but also generous and concerned about keeping the sport of fishing "alive". The best way to do this is to try to generate interest and participation on a large scale (e.g. such as encouraging others to buy licenses, having fishing derbies, opening up access, taking novices out to experience to joys and tribulations of fishing for the first time etc., and hopefully the excitement of catching a fightng fish). Over the years I've caught thousands of fish of all sizes and species from boats, streams the ice, ponds and you name it.. but I still remember with total clarity my first fish which I caught in the Yacht Club bay on Seneca Lake with my now departed dad ....a 12 inch smallmouth bass. The point here is that it is the SHARING of experience of fishing that is the really important part of the sport. The LOU site and others like it are very important avenues of sharing for those participating, those wishing to participate. folks that want to participate more fully, and probably others that are unable to participate, but can share the joy in the virtual world through words and photos(e.g. those confined by various disabilities etc.). I applaude all of you who openly share information with your fellow fishermen and encourage those folks who don't do so to entertain the thought that like money and possessions "You can't take it with you". Good luck to all my fellow fishermen out there and may LOU live on forever :>)

I would say amen to all of the above. This site is the best place to go for valuable info on our local lakes. I took my 32 yr old son out and he caught a perch, and he gave me his phone to take a picture. I am recovering from knee surgery and my son wants to go out aleast once a week in Sept. Some of my best days of my life were spent with my Dad either hunting or fishing. Sharing is caring and that is what I want to do. Doug

Other things that site does is offer some good buys in the consumer section plus get great advice on rigging, electronics, etc. Check out this old boat and there's tons of info regarding boat, motors issues.

The only thing that should (and is) kept secret are trib names and locations. Other than that, this site has been great for me, especially with info on all of the finger lakes. I don't get out much with my dad so when we do go, it is nice to have some current knowledge of what's biting on what where :D . And one thing I have learned from this site is that just because one guy posts a trip report saying how he went out and hammered them at this one spot this many feet down on this particular one lure, it doesn't mean your going to go do exactly what he did and hammer them too. But seeing successful reports from others keeps you going back at it, even when you start to think that there are no fish in the entire lake (which happens to me a lot!). Oh and BTW, every time we go out in the summer, we usually see about five boats tops fishing the same multi-mile stretch of water. I wouldn't exactly call that crowded :) But I don't know; I can't seem to catch a laker for my life lately :@. Maybe these lakes are too crowded then.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not only helping others. When I was laid up with medical problems I lived through the reports that was posted by the Great Fisherman on this site. When laying in the MRI machine, I went fishing with the reports that were posted. Someone was complaining about the currents and they couldn't get their speed right. I kept working with that report and tried to solve the it in my head. Change direction of the troll would have been my solution ;)

So the reports don't just help guys out on the lakes. I don't know much , but I am willing to share what I do :yes: