Copper Question

An Okuma Convector 55 will easily fit 300'-450' of Blood Run copper, braid backer, and fluorocarbon leader. Church tx44s work pretty good with smaller sections of copper but big section you will need to run big boards.

I can't get a church Walleye board/TX 22 to pull a 10 color out to the side enough, so I wouldn't even attempt a 300 copper. If your not getting that copper out far enough your risking it ending up in your divers.

Rick do you slide the keel weight all the way to the front?? I pull up to 350, thats the limit tho.. def enough seperation.

Yup.....tried that.....still not far enough outside to make me comfortable. I don't like tangles even though Prisco says your not fishing if your not tangling!

Rick do you slide the keel weight all the way to the front?? I pull up to 350, thats the limit tho.. def enough seperation.

Yup.....tried that.....still not far enough outside to make me comfortable. I don't like tangles even though Prisco says your not fishing if your not tangling!

Yes he does... as well as "over the rail, in the pail" :rofl:

I just started using a Okuma Convector 55 for 400'copper with a 6:1 retrieve and love it . I would highly recommend a reel with a high speed retrieve.Makes a big difference when you have to get all that line in.

Good Luck

JT

Pulling 300 copper or 10 color lead core with an in line is on the marginal side. Better with a board that pulls harder and gives wider spread. I lost an in line with a 10 color when I broke the line popping the release to retrieve a few years ago- board just sank. Backer use 50 lb power pro and for a reel fast retrieve with smooth drag is the way to go. I'm running 50 Daiwa Saltist on 300 copper - huge difference to the Penn 330's on my 10 colors. Speed rules.

Check out the Okuma Clarion. I've got a Convector 55 and a Clarion high speed for my coppers and much prefer the Clarion. I do run my 300' off a Church 44 board sometimes when conditions allow (calm) and have had no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
I lost an in line with a 10 color when I broke the line popping the release to retrieve a few years ago- board just sank.

Instantly set a way point, come back around with your balls down and dipsies out and deep. Pass over the waypoint at 90 degrees and you have a good chance of picking up the core, copper. The board may not float the whole wieght but, it will float some of it and will be suspended. I saved a 600 copper and a TX-44 board using this method this year. Of course, you can't do this over 600 FOW but, you can in under 300 feet.

I've also saved several cores/coppers that broke by immediately popping the dipsy on that side and letting it float up into the sinking line. Dipsies can run close (side distance) to a copper or core due to the different sink rates. Your dipsy will be 90-100 feet down 300 feet behind your boat while a copper may only be down 35 feet at the same distance as a result of the board being set back behind the boat. Gentle turns keep them clear of each other. I get rather few tangles from dipsy fish climbing up into the nearby copper/core and those usually are only a once-around deal. Kings usually go down and smaller fish move behind the boat before they can rise into the copper. It doesn't hurt to run the board out farther when fighting a dipsy fish on its side.