No Minimum Flows for September… Could Go As Low As 100CFS

Here is the not so good news from that meeting:

Yesterday the NY State DEC and Brookfield Power met to review the current drought situation and how best to handle the river flows leading up to the meat of the salmon season in late September and Early October on the Salmon River.

The decision has been made that from here on out unless their is a substantial amount of rain were are looking at a minimum of 185CFS with a possible low of 100CFS. Not the news any of us wanted to hear, but also not surprising considering the current state of the reservoir. I am not sure what else can be done at this point except to pray for rain, and lots of it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news fellas.

SOURCE: FERC /BROOKFIELD /NY DEC MINIMUM FLOW AGREEMENT

http://www.salmoncrazy.com/2012/08/21/no-minimum-flows-for-september-could-go-as-low-as-100cfs/

My opinion would be to do as they do in Alaska.....close fishing until they meet their egg quota. What do you guys think? Don't let the goons line the river banks and stress out the fish.

I would agree with the closing however they dont start taking eggs till a certain point in October due to viability of the egg. There are fish knocking at the door of the hatchery right now. A friend was there yesterday. However the viability of those eggs are zero. I have a call into Dave Lemon to see what there plan is. I will update when I hear more.

Thanks for posting Rick.

Brian

Either way its gonna be tuff on the locals who depend on the run for income..back in the day of "High water at noon" everyone pretty much had to leave the stream when the dam did their daily release.. maybe fish till noon? With hurricane season starting maybe a good east coast storm could happen, but most so far have stayed south..so far...Maybe they(dec) could set a downstream collection area hopefully someone is thinking ahead and is lookin at axcessable spots to do this...Hint Hint..... Dougleston has made millions off thier land maybe they should think of a way to protect their investment with a lower collection area....We know the eggs have to be perfect for collection (timing is everything) so every option has its challanges.....Time Will Tell!!!

I just hung up with Dan Bishop at the reg 7 office he is Dave Lemons Boss. Anyway the plan is to hold the water at 185 till mid sept then increase it to 385 which is enough to bring the fish up for the egg take in October. They are considering closing the Lower Fly section of the river like in 2007. One thing they are banking on that maybe different is the number of fish returning should be much higher this year then it was in 2007. At least they learned a few things from 2007 and know what to expect. Like everyone has said we all need to hope for some rain!!! He is going to keep me updated on this so if I here more I will keep you guys updated!

I am going to go do a rain dance now.

Brian

If there is an egg shortage in the fall, can't the DEC seine fry out of the river and put them into trucks for stocking and pen rearing at other locations? I would be more than willing to donate as much time as they need to help? Their survival rate would more than likely be better if they were handled correctly.