Trolling in a crowd?

What are the basic do's and dont's for trolling in a crowd? I try to avoid traffic but with the derby and staging fish it's kind going to get crowded and it seems like every approaching boat wants to play chicken with me. If I start turning right they turn right, when I turn left they turn left.

Is there a unspoken rule on which way to turn?

I know enough to troll with the flow but what about oncoming boats? Should I stay to the right as with car traffic?

Thanks,

Jeff

It's pretty hard to tell with oncoming boats. There are many factors that could play into the circumstances.

#1...like you mentioned, find your own space, leave enough space so as to not immediately get in traffic to get set up. Chances are the fishing is better outside the pack in front of port anyway.

#2...if there is waves consistent in a direction. Most not all will be trolling with the wave action some against it. Them you can go with the flow mostly.

#3.... Since no one really knows for sure the other captains mind or what is the activity on another boat, you have to always be willing to show your intentions by a distinct course change at least 45 degrees in a consistent course,IF YOU CAN. sometimes flanking traffic makes that impossible with out speed change as well.

#4...Try to see if the other boat is playing a fish. If it is then the obvious thing to do is give way and wide berth to them. There will likely be radical changes in direction by a boat with fish on.

# 5 ....You only know what you will do, so be the first to try to signal your intentions as mentioned earlier. Turn 45 to 60 degrees from your course, show your port or starboard side in a consistent way and IF the other captain is watching then he will get the message. Sometimes wind and wave action can confuse an intention, but try to hold true on a change and then it is obvious. Don't pay to much attention to the other boat and its bow pointing in 30 degree directions in short patterns, it can be misleading. If the course change is consistent for more than a minute its probably noted as the pass.

Close encounters are inevitable, but mostly not an issue if everyone knows about long lines in the wake.

If it gets too uncomfortable with traffic, just find a new space. I myself avoid combat trolling at all costs and usually benefit with more relaxation and better fishing.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have wondered the same. I know I try to alter my course to stay well away from the stern (maybe they have flat lines out who knows)

That said, have noticed that as the fish stage there are more and more once a year fisherman that just go where ever as they piss around in their little inflatables. I saw one guy in port credit the other day in a 10 ft dinghy with three kids in 2-3ft waves. Sometimes you can't fix crazy

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

That said, have noticed that as the fish stage there are more and more once a year fisherman that just go where ever as they piss around in their little inflatables. I saw one guy in port credit the other day in a 10 ft dinghy with three kids in 2-3ft waves. Sometimes you can't fix crazy

I call that Natural Selection! Catch them before they breed!

If a boat is approaching, I stick with the boating rules. Keep them on your port side.

Some guys just don't get it, if they are on your port side and they cut in front of you, you might

have to use your horn and a few hand gestures to ensure they get the message.

The reel problem is if you have 3 boats or more heading your way. If this is the case, it probably is

best to choose to go perpendicular from them and completely out of their way. Hopefully the depth

of water will allow you to do that without hanging up your tackle on the bottom of the lake.

We like to troll the drop from bluffers all the way to leslie spit sometimes and our problem seems to b that when we encounter a boat they never give an inch and we go from 100 or so ft of water to either 70 or 200 to go around. By the time we get back on the drop( especially if there multiple boats)and clean the riggers if were shallow we ve lost a half hour of good fishing. If guys would move to the deep or shallow edge we could share no problem, however they A. Dont care B. Arent watching where they are going. Or C. Intentionally stay in the middle because they feel they are somehow entitled.although this can get the blood boiling we do our best to get out of the way because we simply cant afford to have some a$&@?($& cut our gear off with a rigger. While we do go around we watch the finder and the rods and see if we can pick up some info before we resume our troll. Who knows mabe the big one is one wide turn away. Tightlines

Remember also, more and more of the charter captains are working without a mate and steering with an auto pilot and don't always see you coming (setting lines, netting fish, etc) I'm not saying it's right or I agree but it's just a fact. If you know who they are or can figure it out on the water( no one ever at the helm) give them some room and avoid a last minute severe course change.

It would be nice and easy to avoid alot of bs, if everyone had a vhf, and knew to use it........ just saying.

When's there is a 100 boats working the mouth of the salmon river, its hard to know who's talking to who. Hey white boat red top or hey you in the sportcraft? Doesn't work

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I agree with the others above, find space if you are new, you will catch fish and be happier out there.

If you can't fish with space, GO WITH THE FLOW....

If you are a newb and don't know what the others are doing but choose to fish the pack, set up outside or inside the pack, watch what they are doing and go with the majority of the traffic. As adam knows direction outside the salmon river is generally north and south, every year you get some guys that are either not paying attention or just don't get it try to cut accross the traffic. This typical yearly problem is easy to avoid if you watch, pay attention, and plan ahead. If you are looking to turn in a crowd, push in or out gradually as you pass traffic and have clearance until you get inside or outside the pack and make your turn and work your way back into the pack of boats. Guys that try to make the turn from the inside of the pack to the outside through the majority of the traffic path usually recieve more hand gestures from others.

One other topic to bring up, riggers and divers are fairly easy to make sharper turns with him, long lines are not. If you are new to combat trolling fish simple riggers and divers. If a large boat is running boards they are running copper and or lead cores. They cannot and usually will not turn as easily as small boats or others with no long lines out. Also there gear stretches out 3-500' behind the boat and 55-105' deep. If they are fighting fish they may be even further behind the boat, that should your deciding factor for cutting behind other boats.

Pay attention and plan ahead and you can usually avoid all but the most crazy of situations.

Thanks guys, turn signals would be awesome. I already do most of the things mentioned and try to avoid traffic, but sometimes it's un avoidable.

Hopefully this post helps some others out as well. Combat trolling is frustrating and can ruin a relaxing fishing trip....with all the hand signals and all.

I try to remember we are all out to have fun, right! And hey, when a guy flips me off I think he's telling me I'm number 1. :rofl:

See you on the water.

Jeff

I was at the Niagara bar this weekend and it was a zoo. You'll always have a few of those "Center of the Universe" boaters who think everyone needs to work around them, but I see more boaters who just aren't vigilant enough when setting a course and those that are just clueless. I usually try to get outside of the pack myself unless there are large enough gaps to get comfortably into the prevailing troll. It was interesting when I heard a boater call out the description of a boat that had just taken off his long copper. Within a few minutes, I saw the suspect boat headed out of the pack trolling at about 8mph! :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a 1 21' Islander and plan on fishing lake O next year and cant wait. luckily the Islander came pretty much ready to fish so that I nice. Have some modifications and updates that Iwill be making though. Couple questions, we are planning on haulingthe Islander with our RV and are looking for a decent RV accessable State Park to camp at and launch the islander out of. Would like to have a ramp right there..What park would be a decent try in the spring when the brown fishing is on?

• 4 weeks later...
If a boat is approaching, I stick with the boating rules. Keep them on your port side.

Some guys just don't get it, if they are on your port side and they cut in front of you, you might

have to use your horn and a few hand gestures to ensure they get the message.

The reel problem is if you have 3 boats or more heading your way. If this is the case, it probably is

best to choose to go perpendicular from them and completely out of their way. Hopefully the depth

of water will allow you to do that without hanging up your tackle on the bottom of the lake.

I generally split the difference between the boats. Going perpendicular can cause more problems once they cross your lines.

[ Post made via iPod ] iPod.png

Tighten up your spread. Don't run long copper in crowded situations unless you want to lose it. Mag dipsys dive steeper and are less likely to get tangled with another boat as there will be less line out. Adding a thumper 1 lb ball in lieu of copper would be another consideration. Be aware of the Charter Boats running North-South when everyone else in the general vicinity is running East-West........they just don't give a crap because they are probably catching fish on their course.