Seneca 08/22/12

I did an AM trip today on the South end, 2-8 miles N of Salt PT., both sides. Found Lakers deep (100-120) over 250-350 FOW. Kept 3, all less than 5 lbs., and lost a big fish at the net (maybe 10 lbs.) The Lakers liked a silver and brass Sutton #44 off the downriggers. Found Rainbows and Salmon 60-70 feet over the same water, and those fish liked green and gold spoons off 300 feet of cooper with a short (6 foot) leader. 3 salmon and 3 rainbows, all but one 2-3 lbs. One beautiful Rainbow (maybe 5 lbs.). No fleas and hardly any weeds. Perfect day on the water. It's easier to charge folks when the fish are cooperative...everyone was happy today.

The copper has started to produce for me after going to fairly short leaders. Long leaders, recommended by many pros, did not work for me and I was about to give up on copper and go back to core. I think the copper has a tiny electrical discharge that attracts fish, and the lure needs to be close to the voltage. I don't really know, but it is working real well for me after going to 6 foot leaders.

Nice report good to hear someone is getting into the salmon........move over I heading south next time out...........JK.......I still have three areas to check out up here before making a long run like that.....

I think the copper has a tiny electrical discharge that attracts fish

What have you got a battery operated reel on your copper rig.......... :lol: ..........just how would it be getting current ????.........me I know nothing about copper had to say WHOA on some thing so I never did buy a copper rig........ I have a double leadcore rig I've only got wet 4 or so times pushing over $250.00.......so no copper......

Most boats leak some very small voltage into the water, even if properly grounded. That's why it is important to have a sacrificial zinc under water on your hull, because in a crowded marina, stray voltage makes for galvanic action among different metals and other boats will steal your prop and rudder and other things like fasteners. It is a bigger problem in salt water where the galvanic action is enhanced. Maybe the copper picks it up and sends a little bit of electricity down the wire. Some boats catch more fish (hot boat) and some say those boats are emitting .06 of a volt because that is the right amount for trout and salmon. Some boats are not so good and they may be sending out too much voltage. Cannon makes a big deal about it and my riggers have a digital adjustment to send .06 volts down the rigger wire. I don't know if it's true that the voltage can attract or scare fish. The E-chip is another spin on the voltage thing, and the chip makes it's own tiny voltage. Just for the hell of it, I mounted an E-chip on the sutton #44 that I have been fishing with this week. That spoon is hot and has taken 3x the fish compared to the rest of my spoons. I am a border line convert at this stage and believe there must be something to it and will do more testing and report in on results. Commercial fishing has used electrical discharge for many years as a matter of course.

This is a subject I'm very curious about. Water does conduct electricity, so if you're running several hundred feet of copper or 100 feet of downrigger cable, wouldn't the charge bleed off before getting anywhere near the lure? Especially with low voltages. I know freshwater isn't as conductive as salt, but the water in these lakes is anything but pure and it's got to be conductive enough to remove current relatively quickly. I'm more likely to believe in the e-chip as it's close to or on the lure than anything about a charge on the boat or DR. I understand the reasoning, and I've read a lot of stories where people swear by it but I just don't see how it can make a difference given the distances and small charges. How does the commercial fishing work? Are they running current near the hooks or from the boat a distance away?

i like the idea of e chips on the suttons.....thats a trial that sowed results.....i pull copper by hand, im going to rig up some different e chips on a few single fixed hook flutters and heavys and give them a try and see what hooks into more fish, in a given period of time and test the differents sets of spoons in different conditions suchas dawn/dusk and mid-day.......cant wait to try. :beer:

Here is a link:

http://procs.gcfi.org/pdf/gcfi_11-11.pdf

also, google "pro-troll black box" There is a whole free book on this topic on line.

I saw a film some years ago that discussed salmon (in particular) that find food by way of the electrical signal emitted by the bait fish. Salmon have receptors on each side of the length of their body. May be true for trout and other predator fish. It is an interesting topic.