down view vs 2 D fish finders

I'm looking at buying a hummingbird fish finder to run my cannon downriggers - something like 700 series - there are 2 models 1 = 2d only second one has 2 d and down view. Is seneca lake too deep for down view? And is there any advantage for the additional $250.00? or is down view just for shallow water for bass finhing?

I have a Lowrance HDS 10 with side scan/down scan. It works best in 35' of water and shallower for definition...not that it doesn't work deeper. It gives really good information in deeper water like how big left to right a school of fish or bait is, if looking top down where the fish is (port or starboard side), it widens your scan area etc. best item I've bought in terms of putting more fish in the boat, IMO. That being said, some folks like, some don't. I am still learning all the functions a year later. If you like to bass fish, it will look under docks...at least mine does. Hope this helps.

If you go with a HB get the best transducer they offer............if it comes with a cheapy , you can before you take it out of the package contact CS department and send it back and get the best one for a lot less...........