Looking for New (to me) Boat - Recommendations?

Looking for a new to me boat. Currently have 17ft/25HP boat that is great for back lakes and OK for big lake but not on a windy day and not great for the growing family either.

Am looking for something that meets the following:

1) Good boat for casting with 3-4 people

2) Good boat for trolling the big lake

3) Good boat for family and kids. Ideally a small cuddy to tuck the little little ones into for a bit to stay out of the sun and sleep.

4) Something that can stay in the water for long periods of time

Any recommendations on models, sizes? There are so many available its a bit overwhelming if you can't refine things down a bit.

What are you casting for? A boat with a cabin is not going to be suited for casting, so I'm not sure what is more important to you.

If you want a boat that can be a good multi-species rig, can be trailered around easily, can fish big and smaller water, but is big enough to handle a family, etc. I would look at a 18-21' deep V aluminum boat like a Lund, Starcraft, Alumacraft, etc.

If you want a boat with a cabin that's a little bigger and primarily used for lake Ontario, look at something in the 21 to 25' range and is glass. I like walk-arounds like Grady White, Seaswirl, Hydra Sports, Parker, Proline, etc. You wouldn't be casting out of something like this though.

rsz_baron.jpg

Here's my 21' Lund. I can fish pretty much anywhere with this boat. It trailers easily. I can cast or troll. I have tracks on the gunwales and can change out rod holders, downriggers, etc. The split window and top set can give some nice protection from the elements, if needed. It has an open bow and electric motor for casting. This falls into the 18-21' deep v aluminum I suggested above. Lund, Alumacraft, and Starcraft are all quality aluminum boats. Something similar to this in layout can be bought used for $10 to $15k if it's not too new.

Here's the walk around glass style as the other option

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... id=2508006

Am looking for something any time...basically if the right deal comes along or a specific model that I really like. Can trailer most anything, 4x4 F150 V8 to tow.

I figured something around 20-22' would be ideal to be able to trailer a bit if necessary but also big enough to handle any water.

Casting is basically for spring time pike and walleye fishing. After June it's basically trolling all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions. Been inquiring about a few boats available in the classifieds here.

My two cents....

I purchased a used Grady White Tournament 192 last year, which is the open bow version of the GW's. I specifically wanted that boat, as the open bow allowed more free space for the kids to sun themselves, or to be apart from one another, as close quarters and kids dont always mix. It also allows for easy access to anchoring it. To casting off the bow or everyone spreading out for perch and small mouth fishing. The boat and motor are only 2700lbs or so, and loaded its only 3500 I estimate. Bottom line is that I wanted a boat I could easily troll out on Lake Ontario and felt comfortable that it could handle the waves and conditions, but was multi functional for other fishing and tubing behing...etc.

BUT HERE IS THE CAVEAT..... After i got the boat, I wanted to use it much more often than our old family boat, which had been moored on Keuka Lake since the early 90's. I have total sea legs and could care less if I am out on the water and its 3-4 footers. The boat is handling fine and I am not worried about it....but I learned real quick that this does not mean my guests, kids and girlfriend could handle it. I fish off my buddies 24' Grady all the time and with that size/weight and beam, it handles the waves and kick up that can come off Lake O within 15-20 minutes. Bottom Line on nice days my 19 and half foot GW is fine, but I have not launched or been kicked off the water, because the other passengers are not as keen on the bouncing around. You mentioned kids....mine are now 14 and 16, and have been on boats their whole lives....but are not as excited to go, if there is even a 2 foot chop. Its a fine line, but when all is said and done, I am really wishing I had gotten the 22' Walkaround GW, with a cuddy.

I have seen some of the Penn Yan's Outrage 225 on here and GW's, Wellcrafts...etc. I know guys using Aluminums, but me personally i want a fiberglass boat. If I did it all over again, here are things I would consider......having a kicker motor on it already. I have since put on a 9.9 kicker, which is much more fuel efficient for the hours of trolling i do. AND it has come in handy several times already as the main engine and gas lines have experienced 'problems'.. ;) If you can afford it, have the Hard Top or a really nice Canvas top with drop down side curtains. I will probably add that to the boat myself next year, but wish it was already on there. Look for Auto Pilot if you can. Learned just how hard it is to take family and friends out, rookies for the most part and get doubled or tripled up, going into the waves and not being able to steer, move lines and net fish at the same time. Even at times just setting lines in rough water. Can live without an autopilot, but it will be on my upgrade.

I know....very long winded. I guess what I learned is that going bigger and outfitting for more trout/salmon fishing, I look back and realize that how I fish and use this boat, is fairly different than how I was using my last boat, and wish I could have done some things different, to make it more how I am actually using it today. Didnt know then, what I know now.

Here is one GW I would love, as well as some of the ones in the classifieds here on the LOU board.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/3130170726.html

Good Luck.

I just helped a buddy find a used Grady White. He got an 05 Seafarer 23' hardtop walk around. They are sweet boats and IMO probably perfect for trolling the Great Lakes. I do more than troll the Great Lakes and trailer far distances so my Lund is a perfect fit for me. I do agree that if only trolling the Great lakes, then you can't go wrong with a glass walk around. I looked at alot of these recently for my buddy. IMO Grady Whites, Parkers, and Pursuits are the nicest and hold their value well. Wellcraft, Proline, Hydra Sports, Seaswirl, and Trophys are nice also.

I just helped a buddy find a used Grady White. He got an 05 Seafarer 23' hardtop walk around. They are sweet boats and IMO probably perfect for trolling the Great Lakes. I do more than troll the Great Lakes and trailer far distances so my Lund is a perfect fit for me. I do agree that if only trolling the Great lakes, then you can't go wrong with a glass walk around. I looked at alot of these recently for my buddy. IMO Grady Whites, Parkers, and Pursuits are the nicest and hold their value well. Wellcraft, Proline, Hydra Sports, Seaswirl, and Trophys are nice also.

Well Said!!!! :clap:

The Aluminum boats are much easier and lighter to trailer and launch...etc. What I do like about the glass fishing boats they wash down much easier. Blood and scales on the carpeting are not as easy to just rinse off!

How about this?? 2007 Trophy 2302, 225 Mercury Verado that sips gas, has the power to pull tubes and skiers. Nice cuddy with sink, frig, head with a pump out, and sleeps 2 easily. Could sleep 3 if you have a child. It handles 5-6ft waves no problem. It's a walk around so you can cast all the way around the boat. Has a nice trailer easily towable with what you have and it's a fish catcher. Did I say it's good on gas?? Run out 10 miles, troll for 8-10hrs and run back on 10 gals or less. Another good thing is I mounted everything in recessed rodholders so if you want to good for a ride or tube, just pull the pedestals off quick by pulling a pin and all the fishing stuff is off. Nothing is permantly mounted. May be selling mine at the end of the season to upgrade to a bigger boat. Here's a pic.

Total Chaos

MVC_009_S.jpg

MVC_011_S.jpg

MVC_010_S.jpg

Thanks a lot for the thoughtful responses. I think what you've highlighted that I really like is the walk around feature. That allows everyone to spread out for casting and sunnnig etc very nicely. The small cuddy is ideal too.

Total Chaos...that is very nice boat. What would you be looking for if selling?

I'd be looking for a newer (2000 or newer) Baha or Penn Yan in the 28ft range.

Total Chaos

If you can find a Penn Yan that is 2000 or newer,I'd be in the market to buy it.

Consigliere, I have a 1999 penn yan sea tracker i am going to be putting up for sale in a few weeks. The sea tracker (if you are not familiar with penn yan's) is very similiar to the pro hunter but the sea tracker is a walk around. it has 4 scotty downriggers, raymarine c80, simrad autoplot and radar. motor is 350 5.7 liter TBI (very nice on pocket book) if interested let me know i can give more details

Rob

I personally like my pro line its an off shore fishing boat with tons of room to fish almost the same as a Grady. Fiberglass is the way to go when it comes to big water fishing much heavier and absorbs the chop a lot better than aluminum. Like mentioned before don't rush into buying something that could work for you when there is a boat that will work for you.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png