Some questions about hardtops....

slapshot716

Just bought a new 2011 (Leftover) Trophy 2152 wa, this past June. It came equipped with a nice bimini top & full enclosure, which, at the time seemed ok. However, during the summer, my kid & I haved gotten hooked, (PUN INTENDED), on trolling around up on Lake O, and we seem to be running out of places to put gear and electronics.

I'm really thinking of putting a hardtop on the boat, over the winter months. I'm trying to figure out what would be my best options here, and hoping that some of you experienced guys can help.

I'd like: 6 or so rocket launchers. deck lights, forward lights, and would like to be able to mount my vhfs & stereo up there inside. Should I get one with an electronics box? Do I need to get one from my dealer? What model might be best for my boat? Are they difficult to install?

Thanks

Tightlines!

I have a new 2011, 2302 WA Trophy Pro with the factory extended hard top. I love it. It has full canvas for the rain days and when I am not on the boat. It does not come with an E-box overhead. There was enough room to mount the Lowrance HDS-8 in the dash. I don't need any other electronics. The VHF is down and to the right. All other motor related stuff is up on top in it's own pod. If yours will take a hard top, do it. Or see what you can get for a trade in on yours and upgrade to the 2302. It's a bit bigger and comes with everything your looking for. If you do get a hard top, I would call Trophy and ask them if it's OK to mount it. Mine has special molded in and reinforced spots everyplace it attaches to my upper deck. Also get the extended version. Much dryer ride.

Thanks for the intel, dc, & 180 !

I went over to the dealer where I purchased the boat, and he told me that my boat could be equipped with a trophy factory hardtop. That was the good news. The bad news was how much it would cost..... (he said around 4grand). He didn't get into too much detail about the installation costs, but I saw a sign in the shop that said labor was $92/per hour. Whew!

I would like the "extended" version, but does 4 grand plus labor sound too expensive?

I'll check out the company that you posted, dc, and see what their deal is, and I'll give Trophy a call as well, 180. Maybe I can get a deal by eliminating the middleman......

Thanks again.

Tightlines.

Remember that you're going to need curtains for at least the front and side of any non-glass enclosed hardtop that you add (more $$$). Frankly, we have a hardtop and it makes very little difference in terms of "storage" on our Wellcraft. I do like the rod holders up top and the ability to mount our planer reels there, but I think that Great Lakes Planers makes some stand-alone arches that incorporate both of those things, and that may be a cost-effective solution at ~$1200.

Thanks for the tip, Gator!

I checked out their site, and prices, and you're right, - a LOT less expensive than a full hardtop. Don't know if I'll ever have enough rods for all those launchers.... lol

It does give me some options to think about though.....

Thanks again.

Tightlines

I had an Atlantic yacht tower on my previous boat which was 22 foot seaswirl striper. I loved it. I had rocket launchers across the top. It had an electronics box in it also. Great place for the radios and all but I am at least 6'1 and I cant tell you how many times I cracked my head on it. Couple pics of what I had. It needed way more rod holders across the top.

7833IMG_8717.JPG

7833IMG_8721.JPG

Nice looking boat there, Seasquirrel!

Do the uprights on the Atlantic Towers models allow you to run wiring up inside them? That's a concern of mine, as I'd like to keep the wiring out of the way.

Did you install the top yourself, (with a couple friends), or have it done elsewhere? If you did do the install, was it difficult?

I don't know if I'll have the "headroom" issue that you had, (I'm only 5'10), but did the electronics box hang really low? I don't know if I'll go with the box or not.

Wasn't there room across the top, or even on the rear uprights for additional rod holders?

Thanks for the input, Seasquirrel.

Tightlines