Canandaigua - 8/25

Launch from Woodville around 7am. It is still VERY shallow. In fact, I had to run my trailer off the end of the ramp just to get my Starcraft SS 16 to come off the trailer. Getting back up the ramp took 4WD. I somehow managed to avoid grounding my boat or getting the prop tangled in the plants heading away from the launch. Headed NE towards Vine Valley. Started getting good, sizable, marks down 40'-60' over 100'-150', so I set all of my gear to run in this range. I ran my usual divers with flashers and flies, plus another diver and 'rigger with an assortment of spoons. Couldn't get the fish to take anything today, despite changing trolling patterns and moving locations a couple of times. That it is why they call it fishing. The good news is that the fleas were basically non-existent today.

In the north end near Seager Marina, there is a rock jetty that runs parallel to the city pier which is the man made jetty where the man made outlet is that runs to the city waste treatment plant. This outlet helps the effluent from the water treatment plant run downstream to the outlet that eventually becomes the Erie Canal to Lake Ontario. The rock jetty is very exposed now compared to what it was in the spring time due to low rainfall in our area. The level is controlled by the city to allow the effluent its natural course downstream. In the winter months they will lower the lake level even more which will make the Woodville launch that much more worse or treacherous for boaters. I used to haul out November 6,7 and with a 23' Sea Ray it was bad, I was docked at Smith Boys Marina for 4 years and hauled myself out the last 2 years and it was tough hauling out of the Woodville ramp in November so I would think from here on out it will only get worse down there unless we get some rain. Just think they rebuilt the North End ramps for you to use and they ONLY charge you $8 or have an Empire Pass until Labor Day then I think it will be FREE again. Plus the fishing will pick up after it gets colder at night so says some old timer I talked to today, but he doesn't have an internet connection just a banjo and sits down in Kershaw Park.

Thanks for sharing you experience! This is the first year I've had a boat of my own, so I'm always willing to pick new information the easy way, without doing damage or getting into scary situations. I feel bad for some of the guys with bigger boats at Smith Boys, it's pretty sketchy down there right now. I watched a guy getting ready to drop in a 23' off-shore CC as I was leaving and wondered how in the heck he was going to make it. I naturally assumed that he knew something I didn't.

On another note: everyone seems to be in agreement that the fishing should pick up once the nights get cooler and the water temps drop a little. Of course there is the slight chance that the old timers like to look out and laugh at the newbies like me freezing our butts off on the water for nada. :) The good news is that I live in Rochester and the north end launch is closer anyway.

My brother and I went out Sunday out of the north end. Pop a laker in 15 minutes on a copper stinger but that was it. 3 hours later of washing spoons we backed it in.

The laker came at 55 down over 90-95. Had some good bait marks around 40 feet over 90 but no takers. We were down around the water station and Germans brothers. All bait was on the west side.