Hot Lure: 42 Second Stinger Stingray

Trolling Speed:

Down Speed: 1.9-2.2

Boat Depth: 380-450

Lure Depth: 40-100

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Dad and I got out about 6:30 and tried the inside waters first, saw a decent picture and cold water inside this morning (44 deg down 40') but no takers so we pointed it north.

Action wasn't fast and furious out there either but we had some bites. Best action was between the 26.5 and 28 lines (380-450 fow).

We had a very large mature on today, first time I ever had a fish roll a line counter reel (yes it went over 1000' on the counter) Dad got it within 25 feet of the boat and I got a good long look at it, it was absolutely mid to upper 30's, but it just sat out there wallowing and headshaking 25' out and dad couldn't budge it any further and eventually it straightened the treble on the spoon and we dropped it. We were at idle with a bag out but just couldn't move it. In hindsight, I should have put us in neutral at that point and dealt with any resulting tangles after we got the fish in the boat. Fish had a tail like a freaking turkey fan. Really could have used a third person in the boat for that one. By far, the biggest fish we've had on on the boat. Oh well, that's fishing.

Interesting thing is, I decided to run double divers today instead of cores/coppers, with the wires as low divers and power pro as high divers, and the hot rods were the two power pro high divers. That big fish hit a spoon on a high diver 200 out on a 3.5 setting. way up high and out of temp. Dad fought it for a half hour before we dropped it (based on the time stamp on the gps waypoint we entered when the fish hit). Other than that and a couple shakers we got some 7-9 lb steelies, but no other matures.

Riggers and flasher flies were ice cold today, all bites came on the 4 divers and on spoons.

Most action, including the big king we dropped, came on a 42 second stingray on the high diver 200 out on a 3.5 with second best being NBK stingray on the other high diver out 180 (with a mag ring)

Tim

Tough break. We have learned with two on the boat and a monster on that takes u to 1000 feet. Clear all the other rods and go to neutral if u need or chase it or back up to it if you really have to. Sounds like a heartbreak when its Sooooooooo close! But awesome to have a great day like that with your dad!!!!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Thanks for the info I looked it up on my iphone while on the boat today and your info got us into 2 nice 20 lb kings and a 12 lb coho. Only difference was all three came off a wire mag dipsy 125 out with a SD and Atomik fly. Yesterday we were fishing 0ver 200 to 250 and got skunked today with what you reported we went straight out to 350-400 and hooked up almost immediately. Thanks again

Thanks for the info I looked it up on my iphone while on the boat today and your info got us into 2 nice 20 lb kings and a 12 lb coho. Only difference was all three came off a wire mag dipsy 125 out with a SD and Atomik fly. Yesterday we were fishing 0ver 200 to 250 and got skunked today with what you reported we went straight out to 350-400 and hooked up almost immediately. Thanks again

:yes::beer::yes:

Still a work in progress Brian. All I use the cabin for is rod storage, so I'm living with it tore apart this season and I'll have the boards cut, epoxied and ready to put back together once I pull it out of the water.

Tried hailing you a couple of times Tim as we fished off Olcott today as well. Same report on water and species. We set down at 350' and popped fish all the way out to the 400's. Nice bait picture. Had a flasher fly bite and could not get a spoon to go????? 300, 450 Cu, Mag Divers out 225'-350', riggers 60-90', braid #1 dipsy out 200' all took fish. Kings and Steel. At noon I had the brillant idea to leave 2-3 year old kings and go search for the derby winner in close........wow, what a blank screen!!!!!! Thought I had a derby Steelhead when this fish slammed the 300 Cu and jumped out of the water. When the fish was netted, I could not believe how skinny the fish was. In fact, I can't recall a year when the steelhead where so scattered EVERYWHERE. Generally, the steelhead have been skinny this year and I am taking lots of them in upper 40 degree water while targeting kings. Not sure if the emerald shiner crop went in the crapper and steelhead have to hunt alewives????? Anyway the "derby" steelhead easily could have been over 15 lbs on it's frame, but cashed in at a measly 8 lbs.

Picture151.jpg

Nope, there's 500 yds of 50 lb power pro on that reel, I was watching the counter spin the whole time.

I know line counters get inaccurate as they empty and that this fish didn't really rip off 300+ yds of line, just saying it was easily the longest run I've seen a king take since my 38 lber on the Olcott pier back in 1992 that took all but 3 or 4 wraps of line on my reel and that WAS 350 yds of 8 lb test. Just saying it was the first time I've had a fish roll the line counter.

Don't you have some cavities to go fill doc? :lol: