Looking for a new fishing boat

icefisherman

Just sold my old boat and it is time to actively start looking for a newer one.

Here is my wish list based on boat expert advices, my specific requirements and budget, and what I’ve seen available out there.

1) Boat will be used primarily for fishing (80%), moslty trolling and family fun(20%), but when fishing, often my family will be with me, so their comfort and my fishing convenience are important.

2) 17-18 feet, could be fibreglass or aluminum with full walk thru windshield, bow rider. Central console is an option.

3) 1998 and newer (2000 and newer preferred)

4) Need seating for 4 (two adults and two kids) but in a way I could rearrange and have enough room in the back when trolling. Found out best solution for me will be fold down seats on the back for the kids and those can be folded when trolling and be out of the way.

5) Main motor power depending on the boat size but would like to have enough of it, so 90HP+ is a must with 115HP + preferred. Outboard is a must.

6) Kicker motor is highly desirable, but not a must as I can install one afterwards.

7) Trolling motor is optional

8) Fishfinder(s)/GPS are highly desirable

9) VHF radio/antenna is highly desirable

10) Downriggers (electric preferred, or manuals), rod holders and other trolling gear are desirable, but not a must as I can install those afterwards

11) All safety gear, batteries, etc.

12) Trailer with swing away tongue (or ability to be done afterwards) is very highly desirable as fitting the package in my 20’ x 8‘ garage is a must.

13) Full top with side and back curtains is highly desirable as well as travel cover.

14) Would prefer Canadian boat as it is less paperwork/easier, but would consider an US one if it is not too far, since those seem to be much better deals.

15) After extensive research the following brand names seem to fit the list above most in this order:

A) Aluminum: Lund, Princecraft, Lowe, Starcraft, Alumacraft, Smokecraft from the aluminum ones. All those offer the fold down back seats I want. Also acceptable aluminum boats, but lacking the fold down seats are Crestliner and Sylvan. For those I’ll have to figure out some sort of aftermarket fold down seating in the back.

B) Fiberglas : Sea Swirl Striper central console, Wilker, Grew, Glastron, Starcraft, but depending on seating configuration for the last four.

16) Budget is about $10,000 but I am willing to extend that a bit should I find clearly outstanding boat.

I’ve been looking daily on Canadian and US sites, eBay, etc. and have found some good deals out there. Just not the “perfect oneâ€Â

Try Spoonpullers. Here is a link to a 17' Starcraft (Canadian). You will need to become a member if you are not one already. http://spoonpullers.proboards42.com/index.cgi?board=sale&action=display&thread=1193362546

Gambler,

I did see that boat last night but it is wayyyyy out of my price range and in my humble opinion it is overprised comparing what I've seen been offered on the net over the past month in the States.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman