Black's release adjustability ultimate test

Ok so I am amazed...ran my riggers for steelies and bycatch walleye on Erie, central basin. There was a ton of small white bass crashing the spread. Unknowingly dragging them around is a problem at times with any gear.

I was able to adjust the blacks to a sweet spot where an 8 oz fish would trip the release (full tight cranked down rods) and be solidly hooked up. Wow. I've been happy with 'em for getting nice tight hook sets for kings, this was my first serious attempt using them for small game. Hooked an eight pound eye just fine too (steelies did not come out to play).

Fished a lot of different releases, never had one that could perfectly adjust for minnows or sharks.

Chamberlain releases are basically a blacks for the upper part modified for finite adjustment on the lure side. You can crank a rod right down without worrying about the hookset tension. I used them last week for kings for the first time and they pulled the flasher flies without any problems. Was nice not worring about false releases due to wave surge. We use them local so shakers will trip the release and your rod can be loaded up. More money but a sweet design.

Spike

Any one that isn't secured to your cable when on dry land. :$ Over the years: Couple of Roemers, 1 Chamberlain, 2 pinch pad cannons, bunch of Lauricks. oops...only 1 cannon, 2nd broke & I threw it in the trash.

I'm not bashing anyone here. I can be a klutz sometimes...funny how I've never dropped a rod overboard...knock on wood. (kicker motor doesn't count as I wasn't holding onto it at the time & besides it was chained.)

;):)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I was using blacks but after dragging lakers and skills for who knows how long I switched to Scotty power release. I just tied on two feet of line and clip it on, if a small fish dont release it at least I can see the rod bouncing. I use too love the blacks but mine must be shot, I have them about as tight as they go and the still false release at times and at other times they wont release. I will try chamberlains

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Tim loves Black's its all he uses, I would have to agree, they are the best, only a few Dinosaur pinch pad releases left on Lake O anyway.

:yes:

Can you use a blacks release with a sub-troll? I wish I was a good enough fisherman to handicap myself with less expensive, less dependable gear!!!

Tim loves Black's its all he uses, I would have to agree, they are the best, only a few Dinosaur pinch pad releases left on Lake O anyway.

:yes:

Can you use a blacks release with a sub-troll? I wish I was a good enough fisherman to handicap myself with less expensive, less dependable gear!!!

Yes, I run my subtroll with a blacks release.