New Member - Thanks for Looking

Name: Devin Fleetwood

Home Port: Garage

Boat Name/Type: Slaying Salmon: 2012 Blue Deep V Tracker Pro Guide V-175 WT

I fish for: Trout, Salmon, Walleye, Bass

==================

My name is Devin Fleetwood and I am an avid fisherman and hunter since I was young. I grew up in Sandusky, OH so fishing for Bass and Walleye is well under my belt. I've also worked on one of the commercial fishing outfits on Erie during high school - I've seen A LOT of fish. I also enjoy Fly Fishing, and have been learning more about the Delaware River System each year that I live here in NY. I moved here in the Summer of '09 for work right out of college. I have my BSEE and MSISE degrees and work for a large defense contractor in the area. I am currently forward deployed with an Air Unit in southern Afghanistan, Helmand Province until mid-October serving as an FSR advisor to the USMC for certain technologies. This is one heck of a life experience out here - please continue supporting our brave troops.

Anyway, my wife and I just bought a new 2012 Tracker Pro Guide V-175 WT with the 115 Mercury 4 stroke (haven't even had it on the water yet). I've outfitted it with dual Cannon Mag STX electric downriggers on swivel bases with telescopic booms, and a dual reel 6' planar board mast pedestal mount from Great Lakes Planers for the front seat base in my boat. I've been learning a lot about the downrigger way of fishing the last few months being overseas, and appreciate everyone's willingness to share tips and techniques to help out the new guys, like myself. This Forum looks excellent and I'm proud to be the newest member. Eventually, I hope to contribute to all the help and guidance that you experienced and veteran anglers provide to those new to the area and deep water fishing, like myself.

I want to start my deep-water fishing learning experience on the Finger Lakes, since they are closest to home for me. I want to focus on 2 or 3 of the lakes for a year or two and really get the fishing techniques and procedures down pat. I look forward to meeting many of you out on the water and gaining new friends that share my same interests and hobbies. I'm willing to learn and listen from all of you to try to cut down the learning curve and enable some successful trips on the water fairly quickly. Since I don't get home till basically the end of the season, i'm not sure if I'll get out on the water at all this year... But I plan to fully take advantage of next season from Spring to Fall.

I was thinking about what the best ways to quickly learn about the lakes, the underwater terrain, the fishing techniques, and the style of fishing in general without paying having to pay for a Charter (I see Billy V is a popular one this year on the Finger Lakes down from Lake O)? Would anyone with good Finger Lakes fishing experience be willing to go fishing with me next year on my boat or yours to help me learn some of the techniques involved, your B and C locations (I don't expect you to give up your A spot), and other tips for a trip or two until I get more comfortable and confident in what I'm doing? I'd hate to waste multiple good fishing days if I could be doing things differently or a more proper way. Or maybe going with a Charter is the best bet? I don't know.

I look forward to fishing, learning, and sharing my comments with all of you.

Best Regards,

-Devin

Welcome to the LOU. This site is great for learning,sharing, and making new friends. Dont think that u cant fish during the cold months wirh that boat of yours. Some of the best fishing is in the winter on seneca lake. I just sold my boat last week, and will b lookin to hitch a ride anywhere i can til i get another one. I'd b more than willing to help ya out. Good luck and b safe over there.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

dbutts - Thanks for your reply. I figured I may be able to get out once or twice this Winter. We'll see - I haven't been home in quite a while and have a lot to catch up on. Plus hunting season starts 3 weeks after I get back and I never miss that action. I will definitely look you up and PM you when I'm ready to go. Hopefully you find a new rig eventually! Head is on a swivel constantly over here....

Thanks again.

Welcome, Devin. You'll find quite a bit of help here (as you've seen) and going with a charter is a fun and productive option as well. Billy V is highly respected and there are quite a few good choices in the Finger Lakes.

• 2 weeks later...