Combat Fishing..

While fishing out of Oswego this past week ran into a couple of incidents that IMO should never happen especially not from reputable charter captians. While trolling east for some time on the same line one came from the north and apparentlly wanted to be where I was. I didn't move and thought I was going to have to put the bumpers out. Finally he gave way after getting within 50 ft then settled about 150 ft. Well soon after another one came from the north cut right in front of him then turned hard right between us... making both of us scramble to pull our dispys. It has happened many many times where Charters will come in and force you off the line you have been on. I understand they have paying clients But it doesnt give them the right to think they own the lake. Maybe they can afford to lose tackle but I think most of us recs cannot or dont want to so we give way to them. I dont troll against the flow and will slow and wait till I can get in. If someone is fighting a fish I will break my line and move to give them plenty of room. I refuse to move now so some captain can come in and fish the waters Im in .. I am not saying they all do this as Im sure there are many who do not but I do know a few that most certainly do this.. Rant over..

Never give in if you was on your line 1st. That's the exact reason why I left oswego 10yrs ago. But over time you figure out hey they don't own the lake. I don't subject my clients to combat fishing ill go find my own fish so they have a good time enjoying what they paid for a fishing trip not a war zone.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

I won't mention any names but maybe next time just run a couple of cannon balls down. Hey might be able to get some tackle for my box. I thought about paint ball gun then announce it over the radio.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

We fished out of Port Bay a while back and trolled down towards Sodus, Probably crossed paths with the same guy you are talking about the friend that I was fishing with changed course 3 different times to try and appease the guy that obviously owned the lake out in front of Sodus :lol: and nothing from the a..hole that was heading towards us...it finally ended with him whining over the radio about the weekend warriors being out (meaning us) and a few choice words were said back...and we pointed the boat north and left the pack! Enjoyed the rest of the day away from the crowd thats for sure! ;)

Tom

WE see alot of this out of Mexico. My Buddy who is a local and tries to accommodate the Charters but some are impossible. I personally agree with the Paintball gun method. They are making a living but that doesn't mean they own the lake. Yes there are weekenders who are clueless. :devil:

I'd like to see a Wall of Shame forum - take pictures of the idiots and post their dirty deeds where we can mock them and throw rotten fruit. :devil:

....and we'll start with guys with no boat that make fun of others

:(

I'd like to see a Wall of Shame forum - take pictures of the idiots and post their dirty deeds where we can mock them and throw rotten fruit. :devil:

....and we'll start with guys with no boat that make fun of others

:(

8):lol:

I get that a lot down here on Senegal lake, the captain bills tour boats thank they own the lake. Doesn't matter if you have the right of way, even by a long shot. They cut us off every time. I finally started holding my course and if they come that close again. I will pay a visit. These guys think they OWN the place....

Got news for them...

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Digital pics, with boat name, posted here, could also have financial repercussions, ie potential clients eyeballing the un-sportsmanlike conduct.

Not only that, what would be the affects in regards to his USCG license, once those folks have that documented/verified info?

In my case he was at the helm.. Other times they were not. That poses the question Should they even be running auto-pilot when boat traffic is very heavy? I agree get pics or video and send to the proper authorities hit them where it hurts their Wallet..

We were out of Fair Haven last week-end, we had a double. This charter boat was heading right behind us. He had way more then enough time to change course. but didn't. So sick of ignorant people behind the wheel! Not my problem they had 12 rods out. Think of other people.

In my case he was at the helm.. Other times they were not. That poses the question Should they even be running auto-pilot when boat traffic is very heavy? I agree get pics or video and send to the proper authorities hit them where it hurts their Wallet..

Un-manned wheelhouse?? In traffic?? ABSOLUTELY NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be no different than entering a harbor, with the auto, on.

Here is the deal guys.............Troll straight.....Keep your fish under control....If you turn do so at your own risk.......If someone cuts infront of you....it is on them....Hey if they want to fish under your boat let 'em.

You can only control your own boat, do so to protect your equipment, I see lots of guys wait till the last min to pull a board or a copper cause the other guy didn't move.

Keep your lines short and anticipate trouble, be proactive not reactive!

Parking lot - cross your fingers and pray.

Someone (white Suburban, silver Load Rite trailer) hit our trailer, bent the fender & took out the turn signal this afternoon. Had a LONG conversation with the Irondequoit police.

Capt, I totally agree with what your saying and wish everybody out there would take that advise. I think the problems start when another boat makes you become reactive instead of proactive. The craziness should be almost over now.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png