Combat Fishing..

so what would the right way to handle some @$$ within lets say 50 ft?? and not just other fishing boats but sail boats as well. i have had my share of fishing boats cut me off and the last time some one tried to do it i simply pulled my lines put my riggers to the bottom and turned out at a slight angle. he was so close in front of me that i was able to talk to him voice to voice from the bow of my boat as i brought up 2 of his dipsy's.cut his wire and then continued to fish. im sure i made my point because he has never come that close to me again. thats right fokes come be a jack wagon close enough to someone that you could hit you with a bb gun your ur asking for trouble. i try to be nice but some people just need to be taught a lesson even after you tell them exactly what your going to do and there response is " well we can fish here to". but this sail boat the other day came from 300ft flo heading on a path to cut right in front of us wile hooked up with a double(just 2 guys in a little 18ft in 120 flo) i pointed the boat northeast (from going west) trying to stay away from the sail and stay hooked up. with the boats now less than 200 ft away from each other the sail boat the turned from heading sw to se. he was so close i can tell you that the dick behind the rudder had a blue light in his hand, for that matter i could tell you all 4 different beers in everyone's hand. i could even have hit anyone of them anywhere i wanted with my red rider. i did everything from radio channel flipping, horn blowing, net waving, yelling and so on. my next step was to shoot him with my flare gun.just after he passed me he cut right back in behind me.if i had a dipsy out on that side (and this is no joke) i would have lost it. we did lose 1 fish and rod with only 200ft of line out on the counter. he ran right between me and the fish on the surface. the rod got ripped right out of my hands. this was probly the worst run in ive ever had but what can you realy do??? he was under sail power but there's got to be a line somewhere. i dont want to waste the cops time with i said he said crap it goes no where. im to the point now that im going to just run right into them and set there sail on fire

Here is the deal guys.............Troll straight.....Keep your fish under control....If you turn do so at your own risk.......If someone cuts infront of you....it is on them....Hey if they want to fish under your boat let 'em.

You can only control your own boat, do so to protect your equipment, I see lots of guys wait till the last min to pull a board or a copper cause the other guy didn't move.

Keep your lines short and anticipate trouble, be proactive not reactive!

Or just go offshore and stay away from everyone! Some days it is just easier and less stressful.

Sail boats have right of way all the time, no matter what, you should read a boaters book,as for the other guys, i feel your pain

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Unfortunately that rule is wrong and can only enhance the stupid factor. The one who can, but will NOT give way will always suffer the consequence of collision in maritime law. So if they plan to hold course, on your vessel in it's course, while you cannot maneuver and you are giving visual and audible warning, then they also plan to hit you if you cannot move out of their way, whether it be fishing with long line or trawling, or if the vessel being encroached is powerless to move from the stand on vessel and it's course.

When one moving boat hits another moving boat the result is called a "collision." However, when a moving boat hits another at anchor, or any stationary object, that is called an "allision." In an allision, a rebuttable presumption is created that the moving boat was at fault. That rule of law is called the "Oregon Rule." Boat at anchor or powerless to move.

Some people mistakenly think that a sailboat always has the right-of-way over powerboats. A sailboat does have the ROW over a powerboat unless the sailboat is overtaking the powerboat. A sailboat must also keep out of the way of large vessels in narrow channels, and ferryboats. This is just common sense since these large vessels have difficulty stopping and maneuvering.

In the case of a power boat engaged in the act of fishing by long line and is moving only at 2.5 mph it is likely the sailboat will be overtaking the power boat and therefore should use the rule of overtaking and manuever accordingly to avoid collision or entangling fishing lines or nets.

so what would the right way to handle some @$$ within lets say 50 ft?? and not just other fishing boats but sail boats as well. i have had my share of fishing boats cut me off and the last time some one tried to do it i simply pulled my lines put my riggers to the bottom and turned out at a slight angle. he was so close in front of me that i was able to talk to him voice to voice from the bow of my boat as i brought up 2 of his dipsy's.cut his wire and then continued to fish. im sure i made my point because he has never come that close to me again. thats right fokes come be a jack wagon close enough to someone that you could hit you with a bb gun your ur asking for trouble. i try to be nice but some people just need to be taught a lesson even after you tell them exactly what your going to do and there response is " well we can fish here to". but this sail boat the other day came from 300ft flo heading on a path to cut right in front of us wile hooked up with a double(just 2 guys in a little 18ft in 120 flo) i pointed the boat northeast (from going west) trying to stay away from the sail and stay hooked up. with the boats now less than 200 ft away from each other the sail boat the turned from heading sw to se. he was so close i can tell you that the dick behind the rudder had a blue light in his hand, for that matter i could tell you all 4 different beers in everyone's hand. i could even have hit anyone of them anywhere i wanted with my red rider. i did everything from radio channel flipping, horn blowing, net waving, yelling and so on. my next step was to shoot him with my flare gun.just after he passed me he cut right back in behind me.if i had a dipsy out on that side (and this is no joke) i would have lost it. we did lose 1 fish and rod with only 200ft of line out on the counter. he ran right between me and the fish on the surface. the rod got ripped right out of my hands. this was probly the worst run in ive ever had but what can you realy do??? he was under sail power but there's got to be a line somewhere. i dont want to waste the cops time with i said he said crap it goes no where. im to the point now that im going to just run right into them and set there sail on fire

Rude behavior to say the least on their part. :no:

Sailboaters seem to be a breed of their own anyway.

They **** when there is no wind, and **** when there is too much, but mostly those boats are just tied to the dock, with their bar-b-que grills going, if they are there at all.

We had a sailboat come straight towards us from the shallow side and no matter where we tried to head he seemed to be tracking just in front of us. It would look like he was moving away and then the boat would line us straight up again. We tried to head out and in the end made a sharp 90 as this boat almost hit our bow. The ••••••• was not even at the helm, he came out only after we started yelling and he had almost hit us. I assume he had some sort of auto pilot but since he is still reasonably close to shore you think he would have to watch where the $&@? He was going. We have found that time and again sailboats seem to be the true menace of the water with no respect for other vessels and no regard for who or what they disrupt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

And often sail boats don't have their freaking sails up, are under power an still assume they have the row. There is no excuse to come within 100 feet of me when I am 5 miles out in 500 fow. Thats piss poor navigation, regardless of navigational laws. There is my rant...

On another point, I say avoid the traffic. Go where people aren't. Those fish aren't harassed and are more likely to eat. Without question my best days this year were miles away from the closest boat. I am always very proactive in traffic too- I often won't run copper, or will shorten my planers and am very quick to avoid people. It does no good to fight over a peice of water, the fish move all the time...

We are out to have fun in the end right??

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Sail boats have right of way all the time, no matter what, you should read a boaters book,as for the other guys, i feel your pain

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

If you truly believe this, YOU better read that book some more and LEARN "The pecking order".... :lol: There is a vessel who ALWAYS, NO MATTER WHAT, has the Right of Way...

It's the...

1. OVERTAKEN VESSEL.

2. Not under command

3. Restricted in ability to maneuver

4. Fishing

5. Sailing

6. Power

7. Seaplane

Even the seaplane, at the bottom of the pecking order, has the Right of Way over any vessel on this list, including a sailboat, WHEN BEING OVERTAKEN !

Simple solution? Turn your stern to these sailboats, let them over take you....They have to move and give right of way to you! ;)

Now if only the sailors would read/learn the rules of the road beyond ...The sailboat has the right of way. :@

Also a boat engaged in fishing does not mean any of us, at any time. Recreational fishermen, charters included, don't count as "fishing vessels". As far as the regs go this is exclusively for commercial fishing operations.
This is true. And yet, Charters are considered "commercial operations" in fine print to void warranties.... :lol: "Commercial" in Coast Guard regulations for safety equipment requirements...etc, etc.. 8)

So...when a charter boat has all it's gear out, including planer boards, and is restricted in her ability to maneuver due to the nature of her work ...

If the Charter boat was equipped with a three light mast and/or dayshapes, indicating her as a a commercial fishing vessel....

Would this legally jump the vessel up the pecking order and make her a "fishing" vessel?

I have always wondered? :lol:

Rule 26

A fishing vessel is defined as one engaged in fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other gear that restricts her ability to maneuver. It does not include sport-fishing boats with trolling lines, which are not considered to pose any such restriction.

Hey Raaven, tell that tanker that is over taking you out there that you have the right of way, and then you can come back on this sight and post another thread " sunk but i was in the right of way" a sail boat has the right of way of us trollers out there, that being said sometimes we have are hands tied and cannot manuever like we are suppose to, nature of the game, if you want to troll for salmon when there are crowds than you take your risk, you dont have to like it but you do have to deal with it, and no i dont have to read any more books, although the one book i might read is " how to deal with idiot boaters while trolling the great lakes" if someone writes it i would be glad to read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Raaven, tell that tanker that is over taking you out there that you have the right of way, and then you can come back on this sight and post another thread " sunk but i was in the right of way" #1 rule of survival. ;) HE'S BIGGER THAN YOU! :rofl::rofl::rofl: a sail boat has the right of way of us trollers out there.
Ok, you let yourself get pushed around by a blow boater if you want to think that. :lol: I turn my stern to them long before they are close to me, they get closer than I want them to..but they always alter their course as they pass me! ;) Freighters are in the shipping lanes , That's their road. Or restricted in a channel on the St. Lawrence. or when entering Oswego or any Port, have already given their "security" call... common sense to stay out of their way!

Sail boaters have no common sense... :@ They ONLY learn one thing WRONG..they think they always have the right of way!

I have never seen a bigger crowd of trollers anywhere on Lake Ontario than the Salmon river area. It's really not that bad if you are paying attention to what's about to happen, and CHANGE YOUR OWN COURSE accordingly ahead of time. Oswego harbor trolling gets congested also at times...not as many boats, just a much smaller area. Here again, if you "read" the crowd, and give up your pass on where you want to go at the moment, you can usually have very little problem. Some people just arrogantly force their way into a bigger problem up ahead.

Back in the early 80's when there really was a crowd of trollers....I worked on The Amberjack with Capt. Ken Budd. He would only put down one downrigger in those crowds..turn on a dime, ;) and go right back where we came from! That rod would fire, I would send the same item back down on it while we battled the fish on!

Ken was the man who taught me " Just give me ONE that works".