Thumb screws for planer board mast??

Gator

Anybody have a source for thumb screws to attach a Big Jon planer board mast to the mounting plate on the boat? I know a buddy that uses hex head bolts, but I'd rather be able to do it by hand.

You may want to rethink that. A thumb screw will loosen fairly easily especially if you get any vibration at all. I use the hex screw that came with the unit and have a socket drive in my rigging bag for quick assy and dis-assy.

Spike

Put some lock washers under the thumb screws and that should take care of the issue.

The problem is unless the thumb screw seats flat the lock washer wont do you any good. The screw rests on the diameter of the post not the external housing. It isn't like attaching two parts where the screw would seat flat, it is like a jam screw so the screw sits proud of the housing when the post is locked in. You're not likely to get the thumb screw length and the washer thickness to match with the "clamped in place" distance. You could drill thru the housing and mast and use a detent pin to hold the mast from coming out but the mast would float around the inner diameter (not a tight fit) of the housing and eventually something will wear (more slop) or break. Best is to just keep a drive with the socket in place for quick easy in and out. Also note when mine is removed I place a blank piece of aluminum (same diameter as the mast) in the housing and tighten that in place so my screw doesn't get lost (fall out). You could also just tighten the screw with no post down onto the housing but then every time you need to install the mast you need to back it out far enough to insert the mast. Having a piece the same diameter as the mast allows for faster install (if you're worried about a few extra seconds, lol).

Let us know what you end up with.

Spike

Since screws are fairly inexpensive, I'll most likely try the thumb screws first and keep an eye on them to make sure they don't back out. Most of the use they'll see will be flat water, since it's for my 17' Lund (Gator's Den) rather than Nothing but Net, and if there's an issue with loosening, then I'll go the socket route. Triple S uses the socket for his mount and I know it works well for him, too...maybe I'm trying to "save a couple of seconds" lol, and probably over-thinking it to boot.

Since screws are fairly inexpensive, I'll most likely try the thumb screws first and keep an eye on them to make sure they don't back out. Most of the use they'll see will be flat water, since it's for my 17' Lund (Gator's Den) rather than Nothing but Net, and if there's an issue with loosening, then I'll go the socket route. Triple S uses the socket for his mount and I know it works well for him, too...maybe I'm trying to "save a couple of seconds" lol, and probably over-thinking it to boot.

Don't re-invent the wheel Keith, if you like the mount I've got I'll make one for you. No it's not a thumb screw but I can promise you one thing it will NEVER fail or vibrate loose.

Add a wrap of teflon to the threads and she wont back out

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png