Yankee @ the Oak 8/28 Afternoon

Mel and I went out to do a little derby fishing. Although the wind was whipping we figured we’d give it a go. We were greeted with 2-4’s which were fish-able. We set down in 60’ of water right out front and deployed our three Cannon Downriggers and two wires. As we were setting up it was building, but the screen looked promising.

It was tough to keep speed. I slammed the corner rigger down to 55’ with a Stinger Chrome Green Dot E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK shredded Sweet Pea, and then let out my wire. When that was done I went up to the helm to get the speed right as Mel had just set the center rigger with our Moor Sub-Troll on it. As I was taking her back from 2.5 to 2.0 at the ball I hear line ripping. I turn to see my corner rigger stretched backbehind the boat. I yelled over the whipping wind at this point “babe you want to catch that Salmon!?!?!?†She jumped on the rod with a big ol’ smile on her face and brought it to the net. It wasn’t a derby fish, but we quickly realized those 2-4s are now 6-8’s and growing fast. We tried to fish through it, but it just wasn’t gonna happen as it was building. It wasn’t long and we were pulling lines and heading in. There were some big dogs out there on the ride back in, and I was a little nervous as that might be the biggest water the Yank has seen.

When we got back to the dock I was informed by Paul C of Free Spirit that a guy in a 17’ Lund was next to him when he picked up and ran in. We were 10 minutes behind him, and never seen the Lund. As we sat at the dock wondering what happened to this guy there was still no sight of him. A good while later Paul sees him putting into the mouth of the creek and confronts the guy. Apparently, his big motor died. Paul told him he was stupid to even be out there when it was 3-5’s and the old guy tells him he is 70 years old and he doesn’t care if he dies out there! Some people are just amazing!

Anyway, the W/NW winds were pushing some warm water in there, and we had 74 degrees most of the way down the water column. The screen was good when we picked up in the 55-80’ range.

IMG_20120828_172647.jpg

That's why you got that nice big boat Rick! I get free showers in mine when It's like that! Sure is fun though. Nice fish Mel! :yes:

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Hahahahahahaha......The Yank was pretty clean after that ride in. A lot of water splashed up on her. I can't even imagine what it would have like in your center counsel!

Why would somebody "confront" somebody else for fishing in conditions they think are too rough? Everybody has their own limits...to each their own. 3 to 5s are fine in a 17' Lund for some people. Sometimes the smaller boats fit between the waves better.

That Yankee Troller should handle anything Lake O can dish out. Are those giant boats making you guys soft? (just joking)

A couple years ago on a weekend when a hurricane had come up the coast, I drove up to fish and launched out of Olcott. The lady at the ramp didn't even want to take my money and said everbody was sitting around waiting for the waves to lay down some. I drove 4 hours to fish. I wasn't going to turn around and go home. I had already looked at the lake and knew I would be fine. I launched my boat and headed out. Nobody else went out except Thrillseeker ( I think) followed me out. (that's like a 30+' boat). I know you guys have liability with clients and don't want to take them out when it's rough, but some people are more comfortable and capable than others in rough water.

You guys that are always up there can pick and choose good conditions. Maybe it's not a big deal for you to miss a day if conditions are not great. I only get up there 2 or 3 times in a year, and I am going to fish if I drive up to the lake. Not trying to start anything, just saying to each their own. ;)

So what yopur saying is a dumb Salmon is worth more than your life? Your family is OK with yoiu risking your life for a dumb Salmon? Not to mention you put others at risk when they have to go out looking for you in wicked conditions all for a dumb Salmon. Do you get the point? It's a dumb Salmon! Sit at the dock and meet some new friends, or go support a local tackle shop. Just becasue we have a larger boat doesn't mean we can lose respect for Lake Ontario. Not to mention your more likely to break and ruin your equipment you've worked so hard to aquire. Reguardless of a 4 hour drive it's not worth it.

ha ha wasnt gonna say anything but i think ive seen the old yankee troller running in the rough stuff a few time's, the old boat that is ! anyways there will always be the old school and new school guys running the smaller boats out in the rough stuff that is not very enjoyable for everyone and for most it isn't and i think most fishermen on this fourm have a story or too of fishing the rough stuff. I would just go with knowing ur & Ur boats limits, just my 2 cents.

NICE fish ya got there colored up with some pink to :yes:

I don't want to get into an argument over this. I wouldn't risk my life for a fish and I certainly wouldn't want to risk anyone else's life because of my decisions. Really though...Seas would have to be over 10 to feel like I was in danger of really being killed in my boat. Not saying that I'm going to go out fishing in 10 footers either. I've fished in 6 to 8s more than a few times though. I think talking about being killed in 3 to 5's is a little extreme. It's not always fun fishing in rough conditions, but I usually don't let it stop me.

Just because you have a larger boat don't lose respect for Lake O, or guys with smaller boats that have just as much right to fish as you. I used to fish Lake O in the 80s in a 14' Mirrowcraft with bench seats and a 9.9 with my dad when I was a kid. We caught salmon too.

I enjoy your reports by the way. No hard feelings. Thanks

Read the article on Great Lakes Angler about editor Dave Mull's incident and you will think twice about fishing in rough stuff with a small boat. There engine died and the boat was swamped. No one died but they bobbed around like a cork for hours before someone found them.

When things go wrong, like main engine quits and the boat is drifting in breaking seas, especially over 7 feet in 30 mph wind, you stand a good chance of capsize if you don't have a way to keep the bow forward to the wind and waves.

I'm sure the 70 year old man would have come in sooner if his engine wasn't dead.

Also just him mentioning, he could care less if he died out there at least gives a clue to the thoughts going through his mind. Obviously a little concerned for his own safety. Glad he made it back in ok.

Hmmmmm, maybe if I become terminally ill, and I wanna save the funeral costs I should pick the roughest days to fish...ALONE....

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Yank, with the winds predicted the next few days is the inside fishing going to be better or worse? Heading there for the weekend which cant come fast enough btw

It's tough to say. W/NW winds blow in warm water. E/NE winds blow in cold. It's been or gonna be both by the weekend. Don't pass up t he inside waters. If they aren't working point her North until you get a screen under ya.

Why would somebody "confront" somebody else for fishing in conditions they think are too rough? Everybody has their own limits...to each their own. 3 to 5s are fine in a 17' Lund for some people. Sometimes the smaller boats fit between the waves better.

That Yankee Troller should handle anything Lake O can dish out. Are those giant boats making you guys soft? (just joking)

A couple years ago on a weekend when a hurricane had come up the coast, I drove up to fish and launched out of Olcott. The lady at the ramp didn't even want to take my money and said everbody was sitting around waiting for the waves to lay down some. I drove 4 hours to fish. I wasn't going to turn around and go home. I had already looked at the lake and knew I would be fine. I launched my boat and headed out. Nobody else went out except Thrillseeker ( I think) followed me out. (that's like a 30+' boat). I know you guys have liability with clients and don't want to take them out when it's rough, but some people are more comfortable and capable than others in rough water.

You guys that are always up there can pick and choose good conditions. Maybe it's not a big deal for you to miss a day if conditions are not great. I only get up there 2 or 3 times in a year, and I am going to fish if I drive up to the lake. Not trying to start anything, just saying to each their own. ;)

Ivan I 'confronted" the guy and his MUCH younger companion because, had they gotten into trouble and/or capsized it would have been ME that would have had to jeopardize my life, my client's lives and my equipment to rescue his sorry ass! :@ I have a wife and a three year old at home and I have 30 years of charter experience. Putting himself into a potential life threatening situation also put me in the same situation since I was the closest vessel to him. In fact, the two other 10Meters out there never even saw the tiny boat. When we finally boated the fish we were fighting and cleared lines the waves increased immensely. In fact, in 30 years of chartering the Great Lakes I have only encountered waves of that height and type four or five times. It was the one of the most wicked cross chops I have ever seen. Have you ever seen two 8 ft waves collide from opposing directions? Your lack of respect for the lake is as obvious as your lack of experience with it. 3-5 ft waves kill people every year in the Great Lakes and threaten dozens more. Do you really think fishing Lake Ontario 2 or 3 times a year gives you enough experience to handle everything that lake can dish out? The next time you "drive up to the lake" and "have to fish" think about the boat and the crew that will have to rescue you and the needless danger you will be putting them in. Whether it be a Coast Guard crew, a fellow boater or a charter vessel--none of us should be jeopardized by your stupidity. Know your limits or stay home!

Paul, No disresepct...you have alot of experience, but you are drawing alot of conclusions about me without knowing me. I also have a wife and a 3yr old daughter. I also know my limits. I may only fish Lake O 2 or 3 times a year, but I also fish lake St Clair, Lake Erie, the Georgian bay, and the St Lawrence river every year. I have plenty of big water experience. I never said I can handle everything Lake O can dish out. Maybe you should read a little better.

As you said, the lake whipped up fast. It was probably fine for the guy until things took a turn for the worse. It was fine for you, then you had to run. Why is it different for the guy in the Lund? Why do you feel you had any more right to be out there than he did?

So had the guy not come back in, you would have went back out to look for him? How long were you going to wait before you went back out to look for him? Sounds like you waited a while before you saw him come in. By the time you decided to go back out to look for him, if he really was in trouble, it probably would have been too late.

Regardless of what you say, I still don't feel you have the right to tell somebody else that they shouldn't be fishing because you are not confident in their capabilities and the size of you boat. That's not your call. IMO it makes you look like you think you are better than them. I guess we will agree to disagree.

By the way, it must not have been that bad if a 17 foot Lund made it in on a kicker motor. Sorry to get argumentative, but you started it.

Wow! Good luck in your fishing adventures. With your "knowledge" and skill I'm sure you'll have plenty of them.

"it must not have been that bad"? He made it in on a kicker motor! Neither they nor YOU know how close those two guys came to dying. And YES .... Had there been a flare or a distress call I would have been the one to risk MY life and equipment to try to save them.

Bottom line is they should not have been out there in a 17 ft Lund 3 miles downwind of port with a 25 mph nw wind blowing. And I don't care what skill level they, or you, think you have.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

OK Paul. You're right.

For future reference, just so I and the other guys with "tiny" boats know, when is it ok for us to fish your lake?

We know now that 3 to 5s are too much for a 17' lund. That day started at 3 to 5 right? Do we need to wait until it's 2 to 4? 1 to 3? 2 or less? What if you have a 19' boat? What if you have a 21' boat? When is it not ok for you to go out?

I'm done. Good luck to you too.