Yankee @ the Oak 8/28 Afternoon

OK Paul. You're right.

For future reference, just so I and the other guys with "tiny" boats know, when is it ok for us to fish your lake?

We know now that 3 to 5s are too much for a 17' lund. That day started at 3 to 5 right? Do we need to wait until it's 2 to 4? 1 to 3? 2 or less? What if you have a 19' boat? What if you have a 21' boat? When is it not ok for you to go out?

I'm done. Good luck to you too.

Ivan, not for nothing but the National Weather Service had a "Small Craft Advisory" Posted for the 28th through 6am on the 29th. And if I am not mistaken, a 17' boat would fall under that category. Maybe you and every other guy out there that has these small boats should heed these warnings so as to not put themselves, but more importantly, other captains, or the coast guard into unnecessary situations.

Thanks wolf. My above post was sarcasm. I understand that a small craft advisory is a good gauge. I look at weather/wave reports before I drive up. I also understand that not just any boat with any operator, can go out on big water anytime they feel like it. That's not at all what I'm saying here. My whole point to all this is simply that Paul doesn't have the right to "confront" anybody else about when they should or shouldn't be out fishing. Where do you draw the line? Who sets the criteria? What kind of guy "confronts" a 70 yr old man for fishing?

I don't consider my 21' Lund Baron with a 250 Verado to be a small, incapable boat. It might not be a 10M, but it does pretty well in rough stuff and I'm a capable operator.

Just so you know, here is the definition of small craft advisory:

Small Craft Advisory

(SCA) - An advisory issued by coastal and Great Lakes Weather Forecast Offices (WFO) for areas included in the Coastal Waters Forecast or Nearshore Marine Forecast (NSH) products. Thresholds governing the issuance of small craft advisories are specific to geographic areas. A Small Craft Advisory may also be issued when sea or lake ice exists that could be hazardous to small boats. There is no precise definition of a small craft. Any vessel that may be adversely affected by Small Craft Advisory criteria should be considered a small craft. Other considerations include the experience of the vessel operator, and the type, overall size, and sea worthiness of the vessel.

I am in disbelief after reading the comments on your post.

Either you are BRAVE or you are just plain DUMB.

Life is too short to allow for a mistake like this to happen when you are out there in the raging high sea.

When I started out trolling years ago, I thought I was brave to be fishing in 5-7 sea with my 21' wellcraft.Back then, I was very green and overly motiviated to become a better fisherman and I would do anything to fish anytime. To this date, I just know it that I was FOOLISH to allow ourselves to be fishing in this condition. As a result of building experience under my belt, I am more careful as ever when it comes to planning a trip.

Im not a faint hearted as some of you may not know me. I grew up fishing in Atlantic Ocean on my cousins 58' Egg Harbor. High Seas can KILL you. The swift changes to the wather conditions out there in the Lake can be DEADLY.

For most of us, please take a moment to bury this in your heads: the sage advice from the captains who are concerned about keeping fishing SAFE for all in the lake.

tight lines and safe fishing!

Anthony

You know, Yankee seems pretty cool. He was fired up initially, but he seems alright.

Here's a serious question though... Are all the salmon charter boat captains on lake Ontario self-righteous, egotistical guys that hate recreational fisherman or just the couple that posted here?

Some of you guys need to look in the mirror and think about what kind of person you are. Just because you have a 10M boat and run a charter for king salmon doesn't mean you are better or more experienced than everybody else on the lake on any given day. I am sure you are very good at catching salmon on Lake O, but that isn't everything. You could provide some constructive criticism to people, but check your egos at the door.

I, for one, am glad that I don't have to pay a guy like that to take me out. Good luck with your businesses. If your clients knew how you treated and felt about recreational fisherman with less than 10M boats, they might think twice about hiring you.

It's tough to say. W/NW winds blow in warm water. E/NE winds blow in cold. It's been or gonna be both by the weekend. Don't pass up t he inside waters. If they aren't working point her North until you get a screen under ya.

Alright now....You're starting to sound like Ray K. :devil:

You know, Yankee seems pretty cool. He was fired up initially, but he seems alright.

Here's a serious question though... Are all the salmon charter boat captains on lake Ontario self-righteous, egotistical guys that hate recreational fisherman or just the couple that posted here?

Some of you guys need to look in the mirror and think about what kind of person you are. Just because you have a 10M boat and run a charter for king salmon doesn't mean you are better or more experienced than everybody else on the lake on any given day. I am sure you are very good at catching salmon on Lake O, but that isn't everything. You could provide some constructive criticism to people, but check your egos at the door.

I, for one, am glad that I don't have to pay a guy like that to take me out. Good luck with your businesses. If your clients knew how you treated and felt about recreational fisherman with less than 10M boats, they might think twice about hiring you.

Before you go knocking people:

I was looking to get back to lake O fishing after a delay and hit "Yankee" up for alot of info.. NO problem whatsoever. He helped me out Alot ! He had no idea who I was, what i did or my background. He offered up info to ensure I had a good experience. Which has since evolved into a good friendship. Every year I get to know more and more peolpe and have only found 1 or 2 to be egotistical (and Paul is not 1 of them) 2 years ago we docked our boat next to Paul and had some great conversation. Oh ya - its a "little" 22' proline as well !!!

Why dont we just let this go ?!?!

I know a lot of charter boat captains from most of the ports around the lake, and NONE of them fit your description above, least of all Paul. He is actually one of the least self righteous or egotistical guys you'll ever meet and he certainly doesn't "hate" recreational fishermen. The fact that he gave good advise based on many years of experience got your undies in such a twist makes me think that you are the one with the super-sized ego.

Tim

I know a lot of charter boat captains from most of the ports around the lake, and NONE of them fit your description above, least of all Paul. He is actually one of the least self righteous or egotistical guys you'll ever meet and he certainly doesn't "hate" recreational fishermen. The fact that he gave good advise based on many years of experience got your undies in such a twist makes me think that you are the one with the super-sized ego.

Tim

Very well said Tim!!!!!

I've had the pleasure of talking with Paul on a few occasions and he has been a stand up guy that offered helpful info while we are rec fisherman only up to the Oak for a few days. Ivan, let your ego go and enjoy the site, Paul is a great guy and no doubt tomorrow he would drop everything to help you out if you have boat issues

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

It is amazing how people only care about themselves and put themselves in unnecessary danger. The people that have to come out and rescue someone in bad conditions are at a huge risk because of someone elses BAD JUDGEMENT. No fish is worth risking your life and someone elses in bad weather!

I said I would let this go, and I will, but I have one last thing to get off my chest.

Although I haven't changed my mind about what got me fired up in the first place, I feel bad about what happened here. A healthy debate can be good, but I'm not sure what got into me for a couple days, and I said some things I'm not proud of. I probably should have never made the first post in response to Yankees report, but it's too late for that.

I don't know any of you guys, and I shouldn't have made some assumptions that I did. I apologize to Paul, Yankee, and others for making things personal.

This is a great, informative site here...sorry for temporarily messing it up.

I debated making this post. It may have just been better to let this thing get buried with new posts, but oh well.

Good luck to everybody