What to do?

Hello All,

I have an interesting problem to sort out and decide. Thought I'd bounce it off you all.

I have a friend and client who owns a large Penn Yan boat - maybe a 21 or 22 footer. He and I used to fly fish together all the time, but his boat generally stays idle. He is a wealthy man, and has a lot of toys. These days he mostly golfs when he isn't working.

A few years ago he made a few remarks about giving me the use of his boat, on the premise that I would tell him where and when they were biting, and take him on a few trips a year. It seems like an incredible arrangement, but when given thought, it isn't clear if it is a wise idea for me.

I read all the posts of Lake Ontario and Erie fishermen, and would love to get out for some reel screamers, or to fill a cooler with delicious walleye. I have launched my 16 footer in Ontario a few times, and just don't like to do it. Just not enough boat under my behind for those vast waters.

But you see, the nearest Great lakes launches from me are an hour and a half away - probably more if I am towing. And while I always drive pickup trucks, they are 6 cylinder. I drive way too much for work to want a gas hog. A big 22 footer behind my 1500 silverado would be quite a bit of strain on the engine, wouldn't it? As it is, I sometimes complain that I don't live close enough to the fingers. An hour to Canandaigua. A trip in my little boat comes to about $50 to $60 in gas per trip, depending on where I launch and how much time I spend up on plane. In a big boat, each trip would come to over $100, wouldn't it? I could get friends to come along and help foot the bill, but the problem is I have a hard time getting people to come with me now. Mostly it is because my decision to fish is almost always last minute. Between the variables of work and weather, it's always the night before or even the morning of a trip that I decide to go. Most folks have their time planned out way before that!

Before I take my first trip in this borrowed boat, I have to get its lisence, registration and inspection current. I'm no mechanic, but I know that boat motors don't like to sit unused, so there will likely be issues I have to address to get it running well. Don't think there are any rod holders, and no downriggers, so money will have to be spent to deck it out as a troller. The fishfinder is likely an outdated one, but maybe it's fine. All this outlay of cash for a boat that doesn't belong to me.

I love the image of myself at the wheel of this fine looking rig, lines out and trolling, with a huge great lake full of huge fish to plunder laid out before me. But jeepers, there is a lot of involvement to get to that point, and expense.

Can some of you large boat owners chime in? Should I jump at this chance? Is there something I haven't considered? Should I be happy in my humble but functional craft catching Finger Lakes fish?

Discuss.

Pete Collin

http://www.pcforestry.com

Hiya Pete,

What a predicament :o . My first thought was if he has the money to play with, and it sounds like he does, I would pick a Marina near Sandy Creek or even farther west and keep it there for the summer. Problem solved! twice a year trailering most of the marina's have a reputable mechanic and you could be fishing shortly after the treck up there. Just my thought. And even if "you" spend the money to keep it at a marina you might save in the long run if you think of what you would spend in gas trailering it back and forth. If he really wants to get into this big lake fishing maybe he could help epuip.? Lots of variables it seems.

Tom

Sounds like potential trouble to me. :D How close a friend is he and how free is he with cash? Being a client makes it even harder. "Hey George, that's 2 grand for the work and another thousand for boat expenses..." Might be a tough sell. Every time I think about a larger boat I realize just how expensive they are and there is no way I could afford it and I'm not even talking a boat in that class. If you do this try and figure out how much it costs to run a boat like that, potential repairs, gas, etc, not to mention tackle. And figure anything you put in you may not get back either.

I agree it sure sounds great but be careful. Who wouldn't want access to a nice ride. But if he's willing to spring for a slip like tcon said and outfit it upfront without you paying for it first then maybe go for it.

Take the charters to get your fix. The charter boats will put you right into the fish.

I know people who have shared fishing gear or fixed up hunting camps. If there is ever a falling out, it can be really messy especially if you spent a lot of your money to fix up someone elses boat. Bottom line is just remember whose name is on the title for the boat.

Take the charters to get your fix. The charter boats will put you right into the fish.

I know people who have shared fishing gear or fixed up hunting camps. If there is ever a falling out, it can be really messy especially if you spent a lot of your money to fix up someone elses boat. Bottom line is just remember whose name is on the title for the boat.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The charter boat is the way to go... UNLESS your friend/client and yourself can work out a share the expenses arrangement and keep the boat at a a good marina.

Boats and their upkeep is becoming a major problem.. The outlay is huge.. Its VERY easy to sell a 14 ft aluminum w a 9.9.. Tows easy, sips gas, and will catch plenty of big fish..A 23 footer will catch bigger fish in bigger water, but for many [like me] its simply not worth the huge cash outlay... Try selling a 23 footer with twin 150's.. Unless you are pretty lucky, or sell super cheap, the pool of potential buyers is quite small, compared to a small boat... btw, Why not just take your friend out to jig lakers on your own boat??.. He would LOVE it.. problem solved... bob

The charter boat is the way to go... UNLESS your friend/client and yourself can work out a share the expenses arrangement and keep the boat at a a good marina.

Boats and their upkeep is becoming a major problem.. The outlay is huge.. Its VERY easy to sell a 14 ft aluminum w a 9.9.. Tows easy, sips gas, and will catch plenty of big fish..A 23 footer will catch bigger fish in bigger water, but for many [like me] its simply not worth the huge cash outlay... Try selling a 23 footer with twin 150's.. Unless you are pretty lucky, or sell super cheap, the pool of potential buyers is quite small, compared to a small boat... btw, Why not just take your friend out to jig lakers on your own boat??.. He would LOVE it.. problem solved... bob

Amen to that, all great advice here Pete. ;)

The mobility and affordability of a smaller rig makes it all worth it :yes:

Your interesting problem sounds a little too risky all things considered.