Honeoye panfish

cripples

Hi how are the algae blooms on Honeoye right now, I would like to get down for some bluegills and pumpkinseeds but its a bit of a drive for me and I don't want to burn a trip. When is it a safe bet overall to avoid the algae in the fall? late September maybe? thanks

Hi how are the algae blooms on Honeoye right now, I would like to get down for some bluegills and pumpkinseeds but its a bit of a drive for me and I don't want to burn a trip. When is it a safe bet overall to avoid the algae in the fall? late September maybe? thanks

I went out for a bit last night and the smel alone was enough to gag me. I could smell it while getting gas in town. Ill post some pics tonight if I swing by the lake. It needs to cool down a bit and at least a few weeks before I would attempt to eat anything from the lake. Off to candice for a while

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The solution is to shut down every cottage that has any sort of wildcat lines or leach fields for their septic systems and install a sewer system around the whole lake.... there is more human waste in that lake along with the contaminants from runoff that personally I have no idea how anyone could live on it or even eat any fish from it.... This is not a new problem by any means... All of the old cottages used to have these...

Still researching info, but, in 1978 a sewer line was run around the lake... Before that the lake was so weed choked in normal years that one could barely paddle a boat, much less run a power boat along that lake....I know because I tried fishing in rental boats (from Cratley's); if you could get a hit from a bass or pickerel, you would skid it unceremoniously across the top of the weeds or just reel in a large mass of weeds. The fishing is FAR better there now. It used to be GREAT for smallies, though that has calmed down somewhat.... It was probably fantastic back in pre-settlement days....but I digress. Always room for improvement!

The amount of bio material from the cottages and the dead and decaying matter (ie weeds and stuff) has really put a damper on that lake for me.

Love the fact the the sewer line is there, but since there is no requirement to attach to the sewer line that can cause issues as well. Fishing there is very easy from the amount of cover and numbers of fish, but I have a hard time eating any fish that comes out of there from May until October. Let alone other times as well just because of the smell...

I haven't fished Honeoye in over a year, and I haven't seen or smelled it since lower water levels, which have affected lakes all over this year. I have never smelled the lake water, well, smelling bad. We have caught 'eyes there at dusk and after dark close to shore, and they tasted great! And that was as close as May of 2011...