Cannon Downrigger Plugs

mmcsparkey

There is no fix, just replacement. Cannon part will run about $50-$60.

You might want to consider rewiring the plug end all the way to the battery and eliminating the whole plug set-up. Not a good option.

Caused by wiggling the connectors while unplugging them. A straight pull is called for, but there is a lot of suction in the plug ends. I suspect a slight defect in the pin to wire connection could cause a properly removed plug to come apart also. I've replaced mine once already and am waiting for it to fail again.

There are automotive quick disconnect plugs at NAPA, but I don't think the wiring is heavy enough to handle the load. Perhaps someone else knows of a suitable replacement plug system.

On my Big Jons I just put regular 110volt male plugs on them and mounted a outdoor water proof receptacle on the transom.Then I fused and wired it to the battery.Cheap and works great.

My big jons came new wired like this never had a problem with them just wired in an outlet. :yes:

This happened to one of my Cannons this year. Pretty common I guess.

I purchased another cable from fish407 for around $21and took minutes to replace.

The new ones are a redesign and have a solid pin instead of the somewhat hollow ones that came with my 4 year old units .

I then repaired the one that was damaged by drilling out the hole that the pin was in and trimming the head off a steel nail to length and forced it in the hole.

I am sure the repair will work just fine but I will save it as a spare when the pin pulls out on the other rigger.

I then used applied electa-grease on all.