IntelliTrol issue

High Bidder

After 80 hrs of use my IntelliTrol has failed. My brother-in-law's unit failed after 60 hrs of use. What a piece of junk. It is the probe because we tried switching the probes between boats and neither one works. Johnson Outdoors did not use their best research and development on this product. I would like to know if anyone else has this unit and if it works or has failed.

Thank you

High Bidder

You are not alone. See here:http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34018

I am in the process of dealing with Cannon on my failure. It sounds like they will fix it, but for how long will that last? I had to buy another brand unit as my unit failed the first day of our yearly trip and I needed a working unit. What am I supposed to do with a fixed Cannon unit when I get it back? Sell it to another consumer so they can have problems with it?? Not my style. It would be different if the company was still selling them and had faith in the unit themselves. The fact that they removed the product from their line shows that they do not have any confidence in the product and we the previous consumers are left holding the bag. I am not happy about this at all. If Cannon doesn't make this right I may never own another Cannon/Johnson's outdoor product again.

Spike

You are right, Capt. Spike, I am definitely not alone. I should have search the site first for other people who have problems with the Intellitrol. The one post sounds exactly like my brother-in-laws unit which shows 95 degrees all the time. Tomorrow I'll be contacting Cannon about resolving this issue. A Fish Hawk is on my wish list for next year.

Thanks

High Bidder

My faith in Cannon is renewed. After contacting them they said they can't fix or replace the Intellitrol but they will send me a value comparable item. I chose the Mag 10 STX downrigger. If I sell my mag 10HS I will have part of the cost to buy a Fish Hawk.

High Bidder

My faith in Cannon is renewed. After contacting them they said they can't fix or replace the Intellitrol but they will send me a value comparable item. I chose the Mag 10 STX downrigger. If I sell my mag 10HS I will have part of the cost to buy a Fish Hawk.

High Bidder

That is great. I think I'll look for a similar situation.

Spike

Just heard back from cannon. they are willing to give me $550 credit towards a mag 10 digital or plain mag 10. I tried to get them to discount two since I had bought two of their units but since I no longer have the first unit they wouldn't provide a discount for that one. I guess anything is better than nothing, now I just have to decide what I'm going to take.

Spike

I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm patiently waiting for my Mag 10 STX to arrive.

High Bidder

Did you get this yet? I opted for the same deal, less out of money expense for me vs the digitroll. On my size boat I could have had battery power issues if I used all that the digitroll can do.

I didn't really need all the bells and whistles anyway.

Curious when you get yours as I would expect mine shortly thereafter.

Spike

The Mag 10 STX came last Saturday. I mounted the new base and rigged it to test it. Now all I have to do is buy a new Fish Hawk, replace the bellows, gimbal bearing and seal and new u-joints and I'll be set for next season. Apparently my bellows leaked and compromised the bearing and u-joints.

High Bidder

I had a bad situation with the older Cannon speed-n-temp system (did not work well at all), but did eventually buy the newer Intellitroll setup for my new digitroll downriggers, which gives a readout at the rigger screen. It works perfectly so far, and if it fails I have another brand new probe, if I need it. I will be screwed if both probes eventually fail and will regret the purchase of the new digitrolls, because I bought them to work with the probe. They offered me $550 credit on new stuff, but I am going to keep what I have for now. It is an awesome system, and the cycle up and down capability catches fish for sure...the fish hit often on the up cycle, especially salmon. If you think about it, a wounded baitfish would not be swimming on a level path but going up and down as it struggled along. The new riggers are great...they finally got it right, but the probe history is a big mess for Cannon. I remember pulling copper with two pie plates bolted together and catching lots of big lakers. Progess martches on, I guess.

• 8 months later...

Well my probe just failed after less than 30 hours of use. Cannon does not have any for replacement and it can't be fixed.  I too purchased Digitrol downriggers to use with the probe.  The system worked great until the probe failed. 

Does anyone know if anyone has a stash of working probes or where I can get one?

Don