browns and lakers

the czar

Hey guys been doing kings and bows up there for 3yrs have a handle on that. Next year coming up for a week and i want to get into some browns and lakers but have no idea what i need .can anyone suggest some stuff i should have thats differant from the sd/flies and flasher/spoon stuff i already have thanks frank

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I too am looking to catch some browns and lakers (North Shore, Whitby area) and would like to learn about tackle and techniques for locating and catching them.

I have a huge collection of tackle for pickerel/bass and was wondering if I could use rapellas and similar stick baits for taking brown and lake trout?

Any advice would be appreciated.

The tackle that works best for those species of fish can be located easily. Just review the daily or final results of the LOC Derby. Each prize winning fish had the brand of fishing line and the lure used listed in the results. It will also give hints as to what areas to fish for different species if you look at where they were weighed in.

Technique to catch them is another question. My response is : lakers- 70 plus FOW, .7-1.2 MPH trolling, fish within 3 ft. of bottom in water temp in low 40s with short leads off cannonball. Pay constant attention to your rod tips as the hit is very subtle at times with the rod tip only twitching or maybe only loading up more than you set it for. The hit is usually non-violent, most I've caught doen't even trip the release. browns- 50 degree water at bottom, fish near bottom, lead length to lure from cannonball of at least 75 feet, trolling speed of 2-2.2 MPH.

Don and Missdemeanor, many thanks for all the sage advise. I hope to be out tomorrow and Friday trolling. I'll let you know if I get any. If I do, I hope to post some pics and hopefully, I get something comparable to the great pics Missdemeanor sent me!