Canandaigua 9/2/12

Pete Collin and I headed out around 5:30 am into the north end in the dark. We set up around Pelican Point in 195 FOW. We had good screen with fish from 40'-150', I set 2 wire divers with blue dot spin dr and blue bubble fly and a blue chrome/glow 8" flasher and nuclear glow fly. 2 riggers were set at 45' with chicken wing and 55' suttons 44. Pete ran his 12 color with a copper mooselook on a planer board and I ran the 300' copper with a green revelator and a reel hooked up fly on a planer board. We made quick work of two skipper lake trout off the copper and the the reel hooked up fly. After resetting the copper, by 6:45 we hooked up again on the copper. Pete had a good fighter on and kept the nice rainbow buttoned. Actually the hen was hooked with both hooks set well and Pete and I figured full moon fever. Then we had a lull, we kept working the eastside, as far north as Cottage City. Then turned back south working out to the deeper water eventually getting over to Onanda Park and Point Rochester. We had switched up the wires to green rotators since the copper set up was working better than any of the other colors. We even did a custom tape job on a spoon as we were approaching Onanda. We set that spoon at 66' and drank a beer trying cool off as it was 11:00 am and already quite hot out. As I was removing the side curtains trying to increase the breeze we saw the 66' rigger rod slacked out and bouncing, FISH ON, but when I get to the rod she got off. We turned and reset, then I lowered the starboard diver rod to 245', one minute later, wham, FISH ON, I grabbed the rod and would you believe, she got off. I told Pete lower the port diver to 245', and then wham, FISH ON, Peter grabbed that rod and then fish off. Pete said jeez, I thought it was just you, Mike. Both divers each took another shot and we both dropped those fish again by 11:45 am. The set ups were purple divers with 8" green paddle with iron duke fly and 8" blue paddle with Pete's custom "skippervisor" fly. We worked north past Danny's place asking for some help with our buttons and even broke out the fish tie hoping it would help us "knot" something together. As the boaters and pwc's came flying by we decided to give up and began the process of bringing in 6 lines. I do love the three rod rule rule even if I always seem to get most bites on 300' copper. The copper is always the last rod in and as I was retrieving the board and tossed it in the boat I began reeling the the 300' of copper line when whump. It felt like I had hooked that pontoon boat and the pwc that had just gone by us close enough to read his registration numbers. The copper had hooked up again. I began the slow fight, we must have moved almost a mile before I had seen the last 100' marker, still had not seen the fish yet and I knew it was getting close when, slack, another fish unbuttoned. I could not believe it, I felt quite dejected after the long fight not boating that fish. We collected our thoughts and figured the fish were just not hitting aggressively and not staying buttoned. The picture of me in the fish tie is after losing the copper fish putting some gear away. I hoped to get a good fish picture with the tie for ERABBIT but alas it just was not meant to be.

100_4872.jpg

100_4871.jpg

100_4874.jpg

Awesome Rainbow Pete and Mike, wish you had a better hookup rate but hey those fish will be a pound bigger next year :yes: ! It was hot for sure on Sunday...glad you guys had a good day. Love the tie.. :lol: Hope to see you all soon.

Tom

Sorry I missed the trip. On Sunday, we ended up on Hemlock with a full boat (including 2 little ones), bouncing on the waves and catching a bunch of small bluegills. It was a successful "get the little ones out" trip. Give me a shout next time you are heading out on a weekend, maybe I can help with the button problem. :rofl:

Mike, Great work.. outstanding fish!! I was out there too..did 2 bows and a laker. Lost the Rainbow that I been looking for...easy 10-12LB.... 15 feet of tail dancing and gone! We were fishing the north east side....This one came 63 feet down over 115. Right at 7lbs.

100_MEDIA_IMAG0590.jpg

Something very interresting..down temp was changing as much as 10-15 degrees at 60 feet down over 25to 35 feet of trolling? Have you ever seen this or anyone? What would cause this much diffrence that far down?

Chuck

hey chuck, I was seeing that down temp changing too on eastside but not west side by Onanda, that sure is a nice bow, the temp 55' feet down at 63* then up to 72*, drop to 66' down and get back to 61*-63*, did see some speed variation too so down currents were ripping down the eastside maybe the ESE winds ?