Species Breakdown: Kings

Hot Lure: White Spinnie/No-C-UM

Trolling Speed: 2.4-2.7

Down Speed: 2.9-3.1

Boat Depth: 90-120ft

Lure Depth: 50-85ft

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

==================== Well i haven't been posting because 2 weekends ago we were in the derby and thought we were onto something cause we were catching alot of fish and then two gentlemen ran over a very large fish we were fighting and broke it off. So i was definitely bummed about it. That was it for us catching fish cause last weekend I got completely SKUNKED :@. 8 hours of fishing and not even a hit. So i figured there's only one way to go and that is up. Sept 1st- I took my Mom and Dad out Saturday afternoon and got SKUNKED again :@ . But i was glad to get Mom and Dad out on the water. And a heads up to everyone I hit a rock with my prop on the East side behind the break wall so beware in there. The new stainless prop payed itself and handled my screw up quite well. So that was Saturday.

Sept 2nd Sunday- Me, Jimbo and cousin Chuck headed out for a day of derby fishing and we setup in 90 ft well west of harbor and 10 minutes into a west troll with fish all over the Hummingbird the 85 rigger went off and 10 minutes later Chuck had his BFE,(Biggest Fish Ever) a 20lbs male king. AWESOME :rofl:. So thinking we were going to light them up we went 7 hrs without a hit. :@. We ended up trolling way down east towards Devils Nose and back to harbor trying different speeds and direction but nothing. Was awesome to see the whole fleet coming back west man pretty cool sight.

Sept 3rd Monday- Me, Jimbo, Matty and Matt's brother Mark headed out to wrap up the derby, so we headed to where we marked all those fish west and got in there and they definitely were not in there the way they were Sunday. But non the less we setup and a half hour into the day the DW Green Alewive on the 50 rigger fired and Mark got his BFE a 15lbs male king with a cool hook on him :clap: . So after a break off on the wire on a big boy i set it back up and the wire rod gets CRUSHED and we were off to the races. I settled into the best fight of my life. The crew was awesome and everyone helped out and 20 minutes later i had my very own BFE a HUGE 28 lbs KING, 37 inches long. FINALLY i joined the twenty club. I have helped a few people on my boat into the 20 club but till today i could not get over a 18r. I am on fishermen cloud nine what a great day I am so thankful for that fish. It takes up my whole freezer and its on its way to Doty Taxidermy. I cant wait till its done cause i know its going to look amazing. Well anyways we did a few drive by shots and Matt got a Nice male king and we headed into spend time with are families. I love the high and lows the Big O man its crazy. So here's to the end of another derby season :beer: congrats to the winners and in two weeks i will start fun fishing with friends and family. Could not do this without the help from Bubba, Jimbo, Matt, Mooker, and Bill get better buddy.

003.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

019.jpg

030.jpg

036.jpg

Kooter,

Nice report and great fish! I

GF & I were up there as well Sunday & Monday. Sunday went 2-4 with two quick hits and no one home and then she catches a 21 & change nice male and as I set the rod back out we get another rip and she said take it, I had the fish take me out to 850 and I was getting a little nervous with just us two and I really wanted her to start pulling lines but with the amount of boats I kept her at the helm. I kept saying on how to net the fish as I thought it was a derby fish. Once I got it to 50 ft I was thinking this looks awful small for a 45 minute fight. At one point I couldnt budge this fish so I just took my time, as we get it close I see it looked as though it was foul hooked. Once she nets it(BTW-she did an excellent job, especially under the pressure I put on her) noticed I lassowed the fish and the double hook from the fly was not even hooked into the fish just around the line. I tail hooked this fish and cant believe he stayed on the whole time. We had a lot of laughs as I was a little pumped to get it in the boat and pack gear to go weigh in.

Monday we fished until 11 with the big skunk-a-roonie! had one run but no one home.

Used Saltist for the first time for my wire rods and am in love with them!!! Its so nice pulling rods at the end of the day and taking minimal time to pull. The drags are excellent and you can really dial in, just an excellent all around reel.

Talked to a few guys out there this weekend and its hit and miss at the Oak so I dont feel as bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Kooter's fish was a little bigger than he thought. When I got the call he told me 36" but he underestimated himself. His fish went just under 40" and his scale was right on at 28 pounds! It's a great fish and will look beautiful on the wall! Just gotta teach you how to tell a fish story. That fish should've been 45" and 35 pounds if you were a real fisherman!!! :lol::yes: That's a great coho your buddy caught too! And I hope you tear him a new one for saying it was a king!!! Congrats on a great season on the big O and looking forward to next year!