Robbed Again

So i go out on my charter 8/31 in the am get my rigs and divers in, put out the otter board, go to grab my 450 copper, and somebody grabbed before me. I dont mean my clients, i mean some a;;hole took it. I used it on the evening charter the day before. They stole it that night after 9:30 when my people left. This is the second time in a year we ( my dock neighbor ) have been ripped off. We have gate at the dock, lights, people who live on their boats near us. I think they came by water and knew what they wanted. Equipment can be replaced which sucks, but i feel so violated its bull;;it. I am going for a security system, and hook the boat up to 220 electric and look for ashes in the morning. BASTARDS!!!!

We've got someone semi-regularly checking car doors in the neighborhood at night and going through ones stupidly left unlocked. I've been considering donating my oldest game camera to surveillance duty and trying for some pictures. It's been a bad year for theft...

It's been a bad year for theft...

I hate to say it's because of the economy but it is leading me to think. The worst part about it is that you know it's another fisherman. It's a shame you can't trust anyone anymore.

sorry to hear! Its probably the same guy too! This is a bad year. We had a guy try down our way, he didnt make it very far.... In the daylight none the less, almost got away with it... I hope I never get hit.. Well, maybe I do, my boats on security scan.. So, youre not getting very far.. :devil:

Sorry to hear about this, Bruce.

My boat was hit several years ago when I was docked at Sutters. It does not matter where you dock, it can happen anywhere. The fall season is upon us and it appears that thefts happen more during this time.

One advice I gave to my fellow fisherman was to take photos of the equipment sitting inside your cabin and anything of a value outside the cabin. I was able to use the photos as a proof for my claim with the insurance. Not everybody keep receipts of every item they purchase.

All these crazies running around looking for metal to turn in to get their fix. Spring and fall in a marina are worse for thefts because no one is around after hours, not like mid summer when someone is on a boat or around.

Shorething.... :rofl: Pike Hunter... Excellent advice, especially the photo/insurance deal. MCF..."Crazies" is therapeutic in describing these folks. Many people slip to the act of thieving because they cannot help themselves upon seeing a bauble and wanting it. They might steal it directly from you by brute force (as what happened to me and a friend by older kids when 9 years old; older friends of mine came to our rescue and re-secured our equipment for us directly from them!) Of course, many stoop to cowardice and go behind your back. And, unfortunately, some even may "consider" themselves as friends or acquaintances and feel it might be sort of ok to "borrow" stuff from someone they know. In some cases, most sadly, even close family members might rip. It is all bad, whatever the underlying motivation. Keep a tight line on your stuff, and try and remember, it is stuff, and it can be replaced far easier than some other things.