Perch in Irondequoit Bay

Erskin

I think the water temp was 58. I saw lots of people trying in the usual perch spots but no one catching any. I caught a few but I don't think they were the ones that come in from the lake.

It is really strange because a few years ago the perch were in the bay a lot earlier. My daughter

called it the 1 2 3 spot because if you threw a line in, you only had to count to 3 and start reeling and there would be a nice perch. It is not that way this year yet

We were on I B for a few hours today. I wanted to check out my boat before I head to Black Lake next week. Surface temp was 66, marked some fish but only caught a few perch and white bass. It was nice to be back on the water, anytime now the perch fishing should turn on. We tried worms, minnow and some rubber minnow.

Doug

there in the lake.Look in the 35 to 45 ft.area near dropoffs .,I marked some last week close to the thermocline west of pultneyville . In Lake erie thats where everyone is fishing now 70 ft . down nesr the thermocline. so why not lake ontario.

john1947

Your absolutely right, I have had great success fishing the lake out in front all the way through October catching huge perch, So here goes guys, I suggest that you go from the center of the River and or at the head of the Summerville pier start searching between 20 to 60 feet of water. Look for the schools, Try minnows, or pan fish jigs with worms or spikes drifting, Some may want to anchor, I suggest drifting and go from there. Do not be afraid of a good breeze,, I have caught big perch all day in 2-3 footers.

You will find the fish from center of the River East of the Summerville pier maybe far as a half mile or more East of the pier (Summerville). Make your drift again . If the schools are there just keep working the schools as they seem to move, just keep ;) working back and forth, I f you decide to anchor after while try it.

I found the perch out there by accident back in 2006 drifting flatfish for Salmon and trout. I have not told many about this but what the heck. I caught huge limits while guys were all in the bay through October; Let me know how it works out.

Good luck all.

Doug ;)

drrambo you are right on.. there are huge perch out there , when I had my boat same thing, gotta love it, when you hit them deep , and u r correct a nice chop is always better, a few years back we hit them out by webster pier, and they were sumo perch.. like we were at seneca lake.. once you find them, or just stumble apon them watch out,, just made our last mortgage payment.. maybe a new boat is in store.. hmmmm thanks for lettin the guys know what is out there.. great info. end of both piers are good right now. while everyone is fishing for salmon.. good luck all

I got lucky yesterday and came home with a few but the school that came in last week has dispersed and we will have to wait for another school to come in. Usually a good storm brings them in or a good upwelling in the lake. Nothing like that happening this week though. One of the other things I watch for is if they are showing at the piers. Thanks Kappy. It tells me that they are staging a little closer to shore.