Perch in Irondequoit Bay

Erskin

Hi Kappy,

I really thought when I posted the Info, some would have tried it by now.. Its where they are,,, Guys would be trolling for salmon and I would be making drift after drift,, killing jumbo lake perch.

As I stated I was closed mouth about it.. Guys who read this post need to give it a shot, Sadly I just sold my boat,, an offer I couldn't refuse. I will be looking again for another soon.

Doug :talk:

absolutely they should be giving it a shot, if I had a boat still, we could do some damage for sure.. one day soon, just paid off my mortgage joined a country club, wife wants a new car.. boat is out of the mix for awhile now.. if I do get one, I mean when I am going to leave it docked, hated launching with the crowds, waiting in lines, and watching many newbies, they had to learn somehow.. I will stick to the piers for now, ride my bike out with a bucket and a rod.. lol gets me there quicker tough with a bucket full of perch on the way back.. if u c a guy with a green schwin mountain bike that would be me,

say hi.

Hopefully, more came in during the night. Where are you getting the water temps Gambler? That's a good indication of what should happen. Noaa has a site that somehow predicts water temps. They have it at 62 deg through Friday and then it drops 10 deg starting Sat through the end of their forcast. If that's true, next week should be good.

Hopefully, more came in during the night. Where are you getting the water temps Gambler? That's a good indication of what should happen. Noaa has a site that somehow predicts water temps. They have it at 62 deg through Friday and then it drops 10 deg starting Sat through the end of their forcast. If that's true, next week should be good.

I work at a water treatment plant that draws water from the bottom of the lake in 50 fow.

Went to Irondequoit yesterday (Saturday). Fished in 24,30, 40,50 and 59 FOW. The water is very warm still. I caught two bullhead, four perch, six sunfish and a bunch of silver bass. The silver bass were a pain. Only one perch was decent size. It's still a little early yet. The weird thing was one of the bullhead had several of these large black spots and markings on it. On the top of the head, side of the face and on one side between the dorsal fin and tail. Some of the spots were the size of a dime. Never seen anything like it. Any ideas????

There are some guys that come to my work for water samples from the lake and they are doing a study on the bullhead tumors and black spots. Next time I see them I will try to get more info on the causes.

The weird thing was one of the bullhead had several of these large black spots and markings on it. On the top of the head, side of the face and on one side between the dorsal fin and tail. Some of the spots were the size of a dime. Never seen anything like it. Any ideas????

Sounds like they may be coming down with a touch of the VHS!

...I was out saturday too, and didn't find any perch. I did hear a rumor that "ONEBUCKETBIGWILLIE" got into the dinks on wed. though.

The surface temp in Massaug cove was 60 deg F in 3fow and it's getting real shallow up there. Lots of bait around also.

It is not VHS. I was talking with the guys doing the study and at the time they had ruled out VHS. They did say they are only seeing these tumors and black spots on fish within so many miles of the Genesse River! :o

I was wondering if any read my previous post and gave the lake a shot in the location I described... I haven't herd anything.

Doug :rofl: Page 2.

You prob won't hear anything either, the guys that fish for perch out in the big lake don't report at all on the websites but, yes, the perch are there if you have the boat and the electronics to find them, we just don't have big enough boats to venture into that nightmare. I'll just wait untill fall when they migrate back into the bay. It' ll be soon. :yes:

Mike ( W.W.IV). It is Doug,, How are you? Mike, you should give it a shot,, If People launch from the River they should have no problem Giving the lake a shot.

Hope all is well buddy.

Sold the Boat or I would be out there.

Doug :talk:

It is hunting season now. Don't know if I will have time to try for them again.

I remember in days past. before the gobies got bad, those perch would be

staged in the middle of August and you could catch them non stop no matter

where you were. Water temps were certainly not 65 degrees them. The perch

were there and biting hard. It seems like the more gobies in the lake, the less

perch in the bay. Anyone else see the same thing?

After hearing about the perch on the lake, I've been waiting for a time to get after them. Ran out to Vanleer with the small boat (no GPS). I only had about an hour to fish so motored around between 20-30fow looking for any schools. Only passed over 2 very small schools of bait/perch and circled to drift over them. No hits, but never saw the bait while drifting. Pulled the plug after an hour and headed back to the bay. 2 boats fishing the markers. Spoke to one of them and they only caught 1 perch. Wish I had more to report on the lake, cause if I smoked them I would have posted. Deer season is here so the remaining boat will be pulled this weekend.

We searched the lake also right after I saw a real good catch another boat made out there. Did not see anything worth fishing for. Looked between 40 and 50 ft.

Fished the bay yesterday, all I can say is I have seen way more deer while hunting than perch in the bay.