Dipsey Rod Holders? Big J HD or Berts Ratcheting

I have both Big Jons and Bert's on my boat.I like both but I use Down East for my Dipsey rods. I just feel more comfortable having my rods locked in.I have them on small pedestal bases in my tracks. They have worked great for me.

If you decide to go with the Down East, give me a shout. I have a pair of track mounts that we used on the boat, and we universally hate them. Having the butt of the rod sticking into the cockpit is a kiss of death for your "you-know-what" when you go running for a rigger rod...they're just the right height :D

We have both Berts and Cannon on the boat, both in the track, and I think that the vote goes to the Cannon for now. I can't speak to their durability, since the Cannons are new this year, but they are easier to move up and down with their one-handed pistol grip. The other issue that I have with the Berts is that on hard turns if the wire pulls enough, the inside rod holder can ratchet up into a vertical position on its own. Scared the crap out of us the first time it happened! Not a dealbreaker by any means, but the difference between brands when it comes to rod holders is measured in millimeters...they're all pretty good.

Mine being up on the pedestal bases gets them about 4' above the track.With the rod tip at the water. Mine are well above the danger zone.Maybe I will take the bases off it could make it easier to be a rod hog when your buddy is on the deck waded up in a ball. :lol: