1991 221V Islander

Adk1

I have read many posts regarding this boat. I am on my way to pick this boat up on Saturday! cant wait! I am not a great Lakes fisherman, mostly Adirondack Lakes, Great Sacandaga and Lake Champlain. The boat I am getting has the V6 in her. I would like to discuss trim tabs. Some posts say that they are a must, some do not mention them. I have never ridden in an islander yet, but have always wanted one. currently have a 17' open bow SeaNymph.

For those of you who have put tabs on the 221 I/O, which did you get? I am leaning toward Bennetts. I have looked into the Smart Tabs, but do not think that they are versitly enough for what I want and need. Definatly less $ though.

I have a 1987 islander 221 hardtop with the v6 and im not sure why you would need them. My boat rides great and gets on plane easily. However i do keep about 150 lbs of rigger weights up in the anchor compartment to keep the boat from bouncing so much in rough water.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Use the boat for a while before you decide to add them. They can be a help getting on plane for an underpowered or overloaded boat but I don't think you will have any issues with that V6. The other thing they do for you is level the boat when on plane if you have more weight on one side of the boat but this is really more of a comfort thing. You can always tell someone to move to the other side of the boat if its not running level. I'd see how she handles first and go from there. If you don't need them, then there's no need drilling more holes in your transom.

Islander owners,

I have a 95 221v Islander and when you fill the live well the boat really leans to the port side. Would trim tabs fix this? Have you ever experienced this? I too was thinking of trim tabs to stabilize the boat.(I've moved people around to level boat out ). Starcraft Islander is the best boat I've ever owned. Great on fuel and catches a ton of fish!!! :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: Adk1 please keep us informed in what you decide to do. Thanks.

Jay

Islander owners,

I have a 95 221v Islander and when you fill the live well the boat really leans to the port side. Would trim tabs fix this? Have you ever experienced this? I too was thinking of trim tabs to stabilize the boat.(I've moved people around to level boat out ). Starcraft Islander is the best boat I've ever owned. Great on fuel and catches a ton of fish!!! :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: Adk1 please keep us informed in what you decide to do. Thanks.

Jay

Trim tabs should take care of that problem, if you get the correct size, but only when the boat is on plane. They will not help when not on plane.